Help me tread heads!!!

I'm looking for kits or parts for some Korean War era tanks. A 105mm Sherman with a bulldozer blade, an M-32 recovery vehicle, and finally, information about the towed 4.5" rockets used during the war.

First off, I'm working in God's Own Scale of 1/72-1/76 and I may have to build or scratchbuild some stuff. M-4 Shermans are all over the board, so the basic hull isn't a question. I need some pictures!!!!!

Does anyone manufacture a dozer blade and or a

105mm version of the Sherman? It should have the VVSS if at all possible, but I can easily work around that. The USMC used a great man of these during the War.

As to the M-32, what can I say? They were used all over. I can probably scratchbuild this, but need a really good source of info about, especially pictures.

I know that the 4.5" rocket launchers were a tubed towed weapon mounted on the same trailing arm system as the older 37mm atg. I'm more looking for info (especially pictures!) so that I can get a good mount made and have the tubes the right length.

Oh, and BTW... Does anyone make a 1/72 - 1/76 M-18 Hellcat? I need to convert it to an M-35 APC.

THANKS!!!!

Reply to
hill4448

UM does a 1/72 scale VVSS 105mm Sherman, but offhand I am unsure if it is an M4 or M4A3, but I do have the kit onhand and can tell you. Fujimi did a 1/76 scale M4 105mm HVSS Sherman. I am sure this one is an M4 w/HVSS.

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Revell makes a number of 1/72 Shermans as does DML but none with a dozer blade.

Likewise there is no M32 of any sort that I know of in 1/72. Sounds like scratch projects to me, but the good news is that they tend to be easier in 1/72 as the vehicles are smaller and the detail resolution does not have to be as precise.

As for an M18 not sure of that -- but the vehicle you are thinking of is the M39 armored utility vehicle, not an M35 (that is an M10 modified as a gun tractor).

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks Cookie! I keep mixing up M-39 and M-75. They were both used, and I can only really get a grip on the M-39 as a scratchbuild. I'm told the M-75 used the Walker Bulldog chassis, but I can't even find that as kit, so I figure that's going to be one of the vehicles to leave out of the collection.

Aircraft have been remarkably easy to find, as are MOST of the armour and support vehicles. It's just some of the more oddballs that I'm running into issues with.

Greatly appreciate the help guys!

~Andy Hill

Reply to
hill4448

Andy,

The only M75 model I've ever seen is the one I scratchbuilt in Frankfurt 23 years ago - there was one across the street from my office in the 3AD Headquarters.

Agreed, you will have some work to do to scratch up some of the lesser known ones. Examples:

M40/M43 SP gun/howitzer on M4 based chassis M16 MGMC with "batwing" shields M7B2 Priest with elevated 105mm howitzer M26/M26A1 Pershing (and M45 SP 105mm howitzer) M46/M46A1 Patton M4A3 HVSS Sherman M4A3 VVSS Sherman Dozer M32B3/M32A1B3 recovery vehicle (VVSS/HVSS suspensions) M41 "Gorilla" SP 155mm howitzer M37 SP 105mm M24 Chaffee LVT-3C LVT(A)-5 M19/M19A1 twin 40mm M8/M20 armored car M39 AUV Centurion 3 Cromwell AOP Churchill VII

I am sure I am missing some but that covers the majority of allies.

Bad guys:

T-34-85 (1944 and 1945 production variants) Su-76M (IS-2M in reserves in China) (IS-4 in reserves in USSR).

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Crusader was listed and mentioned in two books, and one mentioned the dual 40mm as being the M-42 Duster. I also have a bunch of the books listing the M3 halftracks as general transports and prime movers. One that's going to be an easy scratchbuild is the T-66 4.5" towed rocket launcher. It's just a series of tubes mounted on the carriage of the older 37mm ATG that comes with the Hasgawa jeep. The same jeep that I'm converting to an ambulance. I've also had several lists showing the M-36 Jackson. The airbases had

40mm bofors (not needed except for the bed-check Charlies) and One of the Australian accounts mentioned the Bren carrier, the Morris Quad, and the 5.5" guns. At least I'm flush for the heavy infantry weapons, like mortars and MG's. Nearly all of the infantry soldiers have something of that line with them. An account by the Navy Lt.Cmdr who scouted the Incheon port mentioned that LVT 4-s of various types were in use for that landing. I've also seen photos of M-5's hauling the M-2 155mm with M-3's in the train, I'm guessing that they were for ammo or troops transport.

You've got a GREAT list Cookie! I'm also doing a lot of the support vehicles, like the Ambulances, trucks, haulers, etc. The majority of the kits I'm getting are coming from either oop kits by Matchbox/etc. or else from UM/PST/ACE/Trumpeter/ Pegasus... You name it! There's a couple the I've had to buy that are white metal or resin. There's a first for everything for modelers, here's where I'm gonna learn more of my hobby by force. :)

An account by Ted Williams (yes the baseball player, he was a Corsair pilot in Korea) mentions him firing on both an ISU-152 and an IS-2. No account mentions the IS-4's (yet!), but there's also several mentioning heavy 152mm, 122mm, and regimental

76mm guns. "Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War" the author quotes the Chinese general as stating that there were T-34's with 76mm guns as well.

Great job Cookie! You've compiled a fantastic list for me. It just seems that every time I turn around I'm adding something more on my shelves in the "to do" stack. There's some that I can't find as kits, and can't find a base for a scratch/mod kit. Among them: M-37, M-41, M-42, M-75 and a couple of others that are on the tip of my tongue. I'm willing to go 1/72 and

1/76 together, they aren't THAT far apart! But I'm not going to be adding any 1/87th or (like the Lindberg LST) 1/110th. It's just TOO far off. And I'm also doing a lot of scratchbuilding and modifiying as it is. I added a jeep with a 75mm Recoil- less rifle on it. Turned out awesome.

I'm not sure what to do with them when they're all done. I may donate them to the school where I work (korean elem. school, I'm an English teacher), or I may donate them to the local VFW (Camp Casey, Dongducheon) where I do a lot of my socializing.

Anyway, THANKS A BUNCH! RMS came through again. :)

~Andy Hill

Reply to
hill4448

I am certain the only Revell 1/72 scale Sherman is their late 1990s M4A1(76) that was initially boxed by Monogram and Matchbox (no relation to any original Matchbox kit) and finally by Revell themselves. I remember ordering both from Squadron while stationed at Redstone Arsenal and discovering the kits were identical except for decals and the Matchbox one was molded in white for the Battle of the Bulge camo markings.

I double checked my UM 105mm Sherman and it is kit #375 and is an M4

105mm with HVSS. It is a fairly decent kit, much better than the old Fujimi one, but the plastic seems very soft and mars if you stare at it too long.

Dragon has about a dozen Shermans in 1/72 scale. I know they make the M4, M4A1, M4A2, M4A3, M4A4 all with different variantions and with either 75mm, 76mm, 17 pdr or 105mm guns. Their only 105mm Sherman is the M4A3 with VVSS.

Eduard/ExtraTech did a series of expensive Sherman kits. They did the M4A3(105).

ExtraTech also did the M10/M36/Achilles IIC tank destroyers. You could make an M35 out of one of those fairly easily.

There is a rare resin Rhino Models kit of an M18 Hellcat. I've never seen one before, but I don't often search for esoteric resin kits. I've heard stories that Cpl Overby's Motorpool took over the masters and he now has it in his line, but I think he's been deployed and his line is sort of on hold. Here's a link to the Rhino kit:

I'd check the
website to see if a dozer blade for a Sherman exists. If one did, Doug would have it listed and probably reviewed. additionally, if an M32 conversion existed, he may list it on his site as well.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Wow... Only a couple of resin kits of the M-18 each co$ting a lot of dollar$ to buy. Not something that I feel comfortable scratchbuilding with or doing a major mod, based on the price! So, uh, we aren't going to see an M-39 in this series of Korean War Vehicles. The M-75 is out, no base kit to modify, and I've had REALLY good luck with the M-4 with VVSS and 105mm as well as finding info on USMC flame tanks and the M-32.

Well, for what it's worth, I have 56 kit in my possession at the moment, a few more in the mail on their way. I only have three more to buy and then I'mma gonna call it done. I'm building everything as I go, just slowly. I'm making some old crappy kits look okay, while decals are help- ing to make nice new kits look like poo.

If anyone's interested in doing what I'm doing just check out my web site:

and look around. As I go about it, I'll be adding build-ups, reviews, and info.

Thanks for the help dudes!!!

-andyh

Reply to
hill4448

Tracks-n-Troops lists one for around $30. Yes, that is kind of expensive.

Rob Gronovius