1/32 A-10 Canopies...CONFUSED...

Ok. I spent the small amount of money and picked up the replacement vac canopy for the 1/32 Trumpeter A-10 from Squadron. I'm sitting here looking at the Squadron canopy, and my kit parts. And I'm C-O-N-F-U-S-E-D...

1) the Squadron canopy is very nice and clear.

2) the Squadron canopy tranparency is indentical in outline to the kit part...not "corrected".

3) the flat center panel of the windscreen on the Squadron canopy is NARROWER than my kit part.

4) the flat center panel of the windscreen on my kit part appears WIDER than those I've seen in pictures on-line...but that may be an illusion.

..so now I'm puzzled. Are there varying versions of the kit part? From what I have in front of me, I'd use the kit windscreen and the Squadron canopy...but I'd still think I wouldn't have a set of "correct" transparencies.

And I'm left wondering what the vac canopies from Squadron for the Mig-15 are really going to look like - "correct", or not?...

Reply to
Rufus

When I bought the kit, I noticed that the windscreen center panel didn't look quite right. I compared it to my references (own photos plus several books) and found it to be way too wide. This alone was enough reason for me to postpone building the kit until a more accurate canopy became available.

I suggest that you use the Squadron canopy, as it looks much more proportionate.

Reply to
Vesa Halme

Hmnnn. Good idea...I haven't looked at it compared to aircraft photos.

Have you seen the ones for the Mig-15 kit yet?..

Reply to
Rufus

The kit windscreen is too wide - that was the main reason for producing a vacform replacement. There was some discussion about it here and on Hyperscale at the time that the kit was released. The width of the windscreen centre panel on Squadron canopy was scaled from measurments taken from a full-size A-10. Compared with the coke-bottle canopies on many 1/72 kits, those on 1/32 kits are much closer to scale thickness and there is less reason to make a vacform replacement -- unless the original is incorrect, as with the A-10.

Tony P

Reply to
Tony P

Ok...guess I had it backwards. I recall the discussion and somehow got to thinking the kit windscreen was too narrow. I'll plan on using the Squadron one now.

Reply to
Rufus