Break In

Hi Guys.

I have an arcade machine at home, but I have lost the keys to open it. Is there anyway I can get a new key? (I bought it second hand), or would I just have to drill my way in or something?

Many thanks, Kop44.

Reply to
kop44

how old? new? go back to who you bought it from? round key? call a locksmith.. OLD, antique old? there is a possibility of a couple of places having keys

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Speaking only for myself, my policy is that I don't teach picking techniques unless I've personally known the person for two years.

You can find many forums on the web, but that's out of my control.

When I was new at locksmithing, I was completely fascinated by picking. Now, after 20+ years in the trade, it's an important part of the job, but not totally fascinating. There is so much more to the job.

The reasons I don't teach picking are several.

1) There is no way to know who is the person asking. Most people asking (or lurking and reading the posts) are decent people, but a few are not. So, I've decided simply not to say anything to anyone.

2) Picking locks is a "trade secret" like many other trades which have their techniques and systems.

3) A very small part of the security of locks is that so few people know how to pick them. So, by teaching lock picking, I make all locks less secure for the world. Not what I want to do.

4) Purely selfishly, I learned lock picking the hard way, with lots of practice, and you can do the same.

I wish you well. Hope this doesn't sound unkind, but the world isn't a nice place sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Either take the machine to the locksmith shop or have the locksmith come to you. Either way the key can be made.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just for more info, one of the panels is a round key (the box for the money), but the one I really need open is is the one that leads to the working of the arcade machine, which is a small flat key.

The machine is maybe like 10-15 years old. I would even know who I got it from.

Reply to
kop44

You should probably try askng arcade-machine collectors; I know they have an active community though I don't have contact info.

Or, yes, you could try to drill your way in, if you've got a clue about how to do so. On the other hand, depending on the age of the machine and the type of lock, you may risk reducing the value of the machine.

Or you could hire a locksmith, who can probably open it nondestructively and fairly quickly. Presumably you wouldn't want to carry the machine to his shop, so you're talking about paying a trip fee unless you're _very_ lucky and/or flexible about scheduling the job. How much is getting the job done cleanly worth to you?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

contact the manufacturer of the game with your model and serial #

they may be able to replace the key

if it's a pachislo machine go to

effi

An arcade machine is typically made from plywood. If you can get it open, you can remove the access panel lock mechanism from the inside. The lock is typically held on with a simple nut. The arm on the lock that engages the edge of the door is typically held on with a screw.

Look at the back and bottom of the cabinet for exposed screw heads. They may be under some sort of decorative trim. If you can get any panel off you will probably be sucessful.

Once the lock is removed, take it to a locksmith and ask for a replacement.

The lock for the money bucket will be better protected. You'll want to have a locksmith handle that for you.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet