World Trends in Aluminium pretreatments

I am researching the world trends in aluminium finishing and the use of alternative methods due to the banning of chromate pretreatments

If anyone can point me towards and useful and concise information about the following ;

1) The current world trends in the banning of chromate 6 in the coating and pretreatment processing of aluminium. 2) Environmental and Health issues for the use of PVDF and PVF2 paints and world trends on the furture of these paints 3)Europe and US leading the world industry and working "green". 4)Alternative methods of pretreatment of aluminium to chromate and how they rate for environment/health and safety Vs weatherabilty, adhesion etc of aluminium coatings Vs cost and which companies are geared up to undertake these alternatives. 5) The use of anodizing as a pretreatment, pro's/con's, effectivness, cost effectiveness, who does - Asia?. 6) Documentation on alternatives to the above (5)

Thank you

Reply to
Marty

I've heard that there has been some work on Molybdates and Manganates, but not much else. As with so many of these substitutions, oftentimes the materials selector has to accept an inferior product or process. As for anodizing, apart from the other issues, one is limited by the physical size of the anodizing tank, analogous to the problem of galvanizing steel. Applied coatings can be applied in the field to just about any size of object. That said, in the particular case of chromates, I agree with the need to avoid human and environmental exposure where practical. In many cases, it was applied where it wasn't needed just because of longstanding practice where an ordinary paint or even bare aluminum would have worked just fine. In some places, FRP or plastic composite can replace the aluminum. Each situation's needs and economics will dictate a tailored solution rather than a wholesale substitution, IMO.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Thanks for the reply Jitney I will check the Molybdates and manganates out. FYI the application is for architectural aluminium sections Cheers

Marty

Reply to
Marty