Magnetic permeability of steel vs. pressure and temperature

I am looking for pressure (up to 30 kpsi) and temperature (up to 300 degC) characteristics of the magnetic permeability of AISI 410 SS or similar magnetic materials. Frequencies 10-100 kHz (but would appreciate data in any frequency range).

Are there materials that would maintain the high permeability better under these conditions?

Regards, Marian

Reply to
Marian

Nice question, Marion.

I haven't a clue, but many physical properties of materials change with changes in P and/or T.

Your best bets might be to check government lab publications and the USPTO, and the ACS databases if you have access.

..Mark (Not only do I become more beautiful as P and T go up, but ....)

Reply to
mark_tarka

Hello Marian,

Jiles' group measured the stress effects on that grade of stainless steel. Here is the reference: IEEE Mag Trans, Sept. 2002, p. 2418 (Note that C.C.H. Lo is the primary author)

I realize that the paper deals with uniaxial stress and not triaxial pressure, but you might still find it useful.

I haven't had any luck finding the temperature data. You might want to extrapolate the frequency response from similar materials.

Regarding your question about materials that would maintain the high permeability better: Is the material going to experience a harsh environment? Materials with better permeability will likely not have as good corrosion properties.

Hope this helps,

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D