Polyurethane a safe material for dust-mite-proof bed protector?

Hi, I am looking for a bed protector to reduce or eliminate the dust mites for my son. Most of them use polyurethane membrane as the
barrier. Is polyurethane a proven safe material for long term use? We spend 1/3 of our time in the bed and I heard Polyurethane foam should be avoided for allergy people.
Thanks
a snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Since misc.health.aids is an HIV/AIDS newsgroup, you are not likely to get any useful responses to your post from this group. It is possible that the asthma or allergy groups will produce some information. It is a good idea to determine the subject areas for newsgroups before posting so you don't get hit too hard for posting off-topic material/questions.
--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology
Hi, I am looking for a bed protector to reduce or eliminate the dust mites for my son. Most of them use polyurethane membrane as the barrier. Is polyurethane a proven safe material for long term use? We spend 1/3 of our time in the bed and I heard Polyurethane foam should be avoided for allergy people.
Thanks
Check out the products here and see if you can find something without polyurethane in it. I also know they carry such products at stores like Target, but don't know what they're made out of.
http://www.allergystore.com/mattressencasing.htm http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/dusen2.html
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 a snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4181629.stm
"Something as simple as leaving a bed unmade during the day can remove moisture from the sheets and mattress so the mites will dehydrate and eventually die."
--
Dr. Danny Chrastina.

Office: +39 031 3327612 Everywhere else: +39 333 2825623
My upholstered furniture isn't made up, but I'm fairly certain a test would find dust mites in that, too, so I don't really know what leaving a bed unmade has to do with dust mites.
Any know if polyurethane a safe for long term use as bed protector? I heard bad things about polyurethane form but not sure if the polyurethane membrane is the same thing.
thanks
Newsbeitrag wrote:

The allergy against mites has nothing to do with the mites but with their faeces. So in many times the most effective way to get rid of the mites is to get rid of the mattress,carpets and "dust catcher"such as curtains. An alternative way is the use of chemicals such as acarosane,phosmethyle,benzylbenzoate. Investigations made clear that chemicals do not give an satisfying result. hot washing of the carpets and curtains are also a common way. Polyurthrane membranes prove safe.
peter

Don't know much about polyurethane. But I got my dust mite cover at Walmart, some sort of plastic like material (king size cover under $50). I cover the dust mite cover with a sheet that I wash once a week in hot water to kill the dust mites. I have read that high thread count covers do not really work on dust mites because the cloth eventually loosens up and allows the dust mites to go through.
Dandelion