4340 vs 4130 for drive shafts

I work as a Lab Mgr in a large university, formerly an ME doing fossil-fueled combustion stuff.

Our undergrad student chapter of SAE builds a small formula-type racer and competes with other chapters. They want to modify the design of the half-shaft axles but are having problems finding the material they have used in the past (4340).

Can someone suggest an appropriate substitute? I'm thinking 4140, but don't know about availability.

Lance

*****
Reply to
Lance

Alloy steels AISI/SAE 4340 & 4140 are very similar. SAE 4330, 4130 and

4135 will be similar too but a little weaker in general.
Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

Thanks Jeff.

Lance