4340 vs 4130 for drive shafts

I work as a Lab Mgr in a large university, formerly an ME doing
fossil-fueled combustion stuff.
Our undergrad student chapter of SAE builds a small formula-type racer
and competes with other chapters. They want to modify the design of the
half-shaft axles but are having problems finding the material they have
used in the past (4340).
Can someone suggest an appropriate substitute? I'm thinking 4140, but
don't know about availability.
Lance
*****
Reply to
Lance
Alloy steels AISI/SAE 4340 & 4140 are very similar. SAE 4330, 4130 and 4135 will be similar too but a little weaker in general.
Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

Site Timeline