Aronhold-Kennedy Theorem

Hello all!

Could someone point me to a PROOF of the Kennedy-Arnhold Theorem?

"When considering three links - i, j, k - the three instantaneous centers - Pij, Pik, Pkj - are co-linear."

I have seen its use... I can "intuit" it.

But I would like to see a rigorous proof if one exists.

Thanks!

t.

Reply to
Tom Impelluso

Here's a google book excerpt that gives a reductio proof of A-K

The URL is so long I cannot believe it will survive intact. It is indeed counter-intuitive to suppose that the three instant centers of velocity orf links which need not even be connected, lie on a straight line. Its the line normal to the velocity vector that confers the 'magic' I suppose. But consider three disks in a plane spinning each on its own center, disposed in a triangle. THOSE centers occupy a line?? :-)

BrianW

Reply to
Brian Whatcott