Continuous Operation From Grid-Battery Tractors

Diesel power is now almost 4X the cost of the grid. Battery cost is

2X - 3X grid cost and the combination is just now about equal to or in some areas already below the cost of diesel.

Unlike electric road vehicles and plug in hybrids, battery energy density is not much an issue with farm tractors which can recharge every few minutes. 90 watt/kg is more than enough energy density for almost all farm operations.

For example, for a 400 HP articulated diesel tractor engine equivalent, two 350 LB batteries -- about the same energy as 2 gallons of diesel -- are cantilevered off both sides of the electric tractor, each with a vertical conductor mounted on top to contact wires at the ends of the field.

When the tractor reaches the right hand U turn end of the field the left outrigger picks up a recharged battery. After the U turn the outrigger drops off the discharged battery for charging where it can be picked up on the next lap.

The right side battery is swapped out at the other end of the field when the left hand U turn is made.

Depending on use the batteries last a month or so, changed and recycled much less frequently than motor oil.

If such a system was available now, it would be more cost effective than replacing with diesel.

There are all kinds of farm situations and there will be all kinds of solutions. In the long run for some applications, it might be cheaper to eliminate the battery cost and run straight from the grid, either by trolley wiring the entire field or with something like a pivot structure to deliver the power to a tractor.

The original single battery single wire idea where the driver waits at the end of the field for a recharge was the absolute cheapest easiest electric tractor to prototype and demonstrate. It was just a way to get started.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

Have you presented these ideas to any actual farmers?

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Have a heart, you want them to die laughing ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

How tiny do you perceive commercial farm fields to be that batteries can be charged "every few minutes?"

Reply to
Don Bowey

Reply to
John Fields

John Fields wrote

And it isnt even possible to charge them that quickly either.

He's not a troll, just another silly little child that doesnt have a clue about the basics.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I imagine his fix for that is to "just" have more spares available.

He appears to be a wannabe wheeler dealer. From viewing his activity on other topics, my impression is he thinks he's an idea man.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Don Bowey wrote

Wouldnt work.

about the basics.

Nope, no suggestion of whats necessary for that.

Not a shred of evidence that he's actually capable of thought either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I've spent a little time on farms. Farmers are generally pretty inventive people, and are inclined to try all sorts of things to improve productivity or just have fun. It's impossible that some goodly number of them haven't already considered all sorts of options to save energy, electrically or otherwise.

Bret hasn't filled us in on his experience with farming, or electrical engineering, or mechanical design.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Reply to
BretCahill

John Larkin wrote

And tend to be pretty scathing about loons like Brat.

Corse it is, particularly with the price of diesel what it is currently.

Doesnt mean that they wouldnt die laughing at the Brat's hare brained scheme tho.

Its obviously zero. That stands out like dogs balls.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Reply to
Rod Speed

Please elaborate on that quantitatively and show your work.

Totally huge.

Pathetic.

No way.

Cite?

I see no calculations or worked sums there.

Reply to
BretCahill

Cite?

Please elaborate on that quantitatively and show your work.

Totally huge.

Pathetic.

No way.

I see no calculations or worked sums there.

Reply to
BretCahill

That's the most pathetic excuse for a meaningful post I've ever read. You're hugely pathetic.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Do your own research, dummy. It's your project and we aren't your gofers.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Actually, I think he has, but somewhat indirectly.

Reply to
Bill Ward

'think' again. No one who had could ever come up with such a hare brained battery swap scheme.

Only by eating the products of the farming.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Reply to
John Fields