coffin manson -- exponent gets higher with material hardness?

(1) The coffin manson exponent (m) is typically quoted as ~ 6-8 for brittle materials, ~ 3-5 for hard solders and ~ 1-3 for soft solders (or something close to these values)

(2) We also know from plotting S-N curves, that the slope (actually -1/slope = m) is dependent upon whether we are in the "plastic" or "elastic" regime. The "elastic" regime (i.e., higher cycles to failure) results in a larger value of m.

I would like to know why harder materials have higher values for m.

Are the m values quoted in the literture assuming that the S-N experiments are done so that the N (number of cycles to failure) is held constant? In other words, are the S values chosen in an experiment higher for the harder materials (so as to keep the same nominal cycles to failure a constant, regardless of material type)?

Or is this simply a result that the S-N experiments are performed at the same nominal values of S (stress), in which case, harder materials will natural experience a greater fraction of strain in the form of elastic strain (not plastic) as compared to softer materials? In other words, the m value changing with material hardness is simply a result that we are on a different part of the S-N curve, and the S-N curve has a slope that is a function of N.

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
seferiad

Note that the stress-life approach (S-N) is generally used for high cycle life where there is no plasticity. Use the strain life (e-N) approach for low cycle life where there's plasticity.

Make that mean stronger materials. Different alloys can have the different hardnesses but similar strength values. I'll have to look at some data and get back to you.

Probably so. They have to test with stresses to fill out the full range of the curve. So they test to higher stresses for the stronger materials.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson