Guidance in setting up the correct computational model..........

I posted an enquiry to this newsgroup that got one [than you Brian] response.

Since, I'm told by one of your posters that perhaps the motive is avoiding liability, [I'd happily sign a waiver in this regard] how about directing me to the source for a proper computational model(s) ? I completed 10 math course and an introductory 3 courses to physics in college so might be able to adequately run the numbers. I have a copy of the Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers but not being an engineer am incapable of competently gleaning the proper material to construct an appropriate computational setup, though willing to work real hard to get there :-)

I need to evaluate the current safe load capacity [with a motive of modifying it, if inadequate] of an over the road trailer that is made of tubular steel, that was originally manufactured/used as a car hauler and later modified to haul multiple million dollar aircraft by a quite visible, reputable company, so presumably it's not junk.

But my boat weighs 10 Tons and I seek very high probability, not hope.

How can I arrive at the right computational setup for this, please ?

Thank you.

Courtney Thomas

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

I spent a year generating the model of a tubular steel framed bus--not a lot of difference between it and a trailer, except for total weight, suspension system, and of course motive power. From the belt rail up, they are similar. Load paths are similar, and it is very intricate. Unless you have an FEA capability you will have to model it as a series of trusses. You might do it by hand, but it will be VERY involved. Easiest way is with a Finite Element Model. Many thousands of dof's, lots of elements (You can model the rectangular tubes as beam elements) By hand, load the separate hard points with the boat weight, and work down to the suspension.

20000 lb is not a lot. It is the equivalent of about 5 or 6 mini-vans. If the traileer is the one I think, it was designed to haul 5 or 6 high-dollar sports cars at about 2000 lb each...

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Reply to
Roger

I'd trust it about as far as I can throw the prototype, unassisted. I wouldn't mind watching, from a safe distance, the first loading and road test (an a closed course, naturally) Amazing that someone who has spent his lifetime learning his trade figures he can learn mine in a few weeks, from books (and From "Mark's", at that!) Of course, that problem goes both ways...how many Engineers have heaped disdain on the 30-year machinist?

Roger W Gu> So Roger, how much trust would you put into the results from an

Reply to
Roger

So Roger, how much trust would you put into the results from an uncorrelated FEA model put together by a first timer with no experience in structural analysis?

Bizarre.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Roger wrote: