Electrical regs - the Government responds...

Here's the response to the petition that was posted on the Downing St
formatting link

Not unexpected I guess...
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Loading thread data ...
Does anyone know of any petitions on that site ..were the government have backed down. NOT seen one yet !!!
all the best.mark
Reply to
The response is inadequate and unfit for purpose. It fails to address the points raised and instead provides an unwanted explanation of Part P which does not justify its imposition.
I suggest you all complain to your MPs and demand a proper response. I will.
Reply to
Adrian Godwin
Agreed, a complete whitewash of a response. However what I found interesting was the content of the second paragraph of the response section; unless I misunderstood it, it seems minor work permitted includes adding sockets except for those in 'restricted areas' such as bathrooms. Martin.
Reply to
Martin Whybrow
Hmm Man in big house, he talk lies...
"Part P competent person schemes are similar to the CORGI gas safety scheme which has been very successful in significantly reducing the number of gas safety incidents."
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 specifically DO NOT require registration or approval of those who are not employed or self employed in gas installation work. They DO require that all persons doing gas installation work be competent. But then so have the Wiring Regs aka BS 7671 required people doing electrical work to be competent ever since they were written.
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
I too found that interesting, and unambiguous; The answer says adding sockets and lighting to an existing circuit is permitted, except in the high risk areas. Equally maintenance is permitted.
So, I am allowed to add a new lamp or socket in my garage or dining room (existing circuit, not a bathroom, kitchen or outdoors). Equally, I am permitted to maintain my outdoor lights, which might include replacement due to corrosion or other effects of being out in the weather.
If I carried out such works, and then sold the house in a few years, the surveyor would find a mix of old (pre regs) and new wiring. But the new would be permitted works. But, I bet the surveyor will insist on seeing the certificate of compliance....
Sounds like a mess (again).
- Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
Adding sockets and lights is permitted except in a kitchen, bathroom and outdoors. Work in a shed or workshop is permitted but a cable running outdoors to feed it would not.
Yes you can maintain your outside lights or bathroom lights provided they are replaced on a like for like basis.
Anything involving adding new circuits / rewiring, 12 volt lights that are not pre wired and CE marked, and adding stuff in a kitchen bathroom or garden are not permitted
The certificate of compliance is just that, that the work complies with building regs, not just Part P but that holes in joists are made in the right place etc. Another certificate must be issued first, and that's the electrical installation certificate or minor works certificate, they are legal document and proves compliance with BS7671. These certificates have been required for many years and MUST be issued after any installation work has taken place, even changing a light fitting. As these are a legal document that can be used as evidence against you, should something go wrong. It therefore stands to reason that you should be suitably competant and own the correct test gear in order to complete one. If you are not competant to fill in the certificate it is my opinion that you are also not competant to do electrical work unsupervised. So, the surveyor won't insist on seeing the certificate of compliance but will insist on seeing the minor works certificate that should have been filled out.
IMHO The whole point of part P dispite what the government tells you is 2 fold, 1 to make all electrical work traceable so someone's insurance company can sue someone else when something goes wrong, and secondly to make the Bosses of the NICEIC very rich. With no mention of reducing deaths!
Reply to
Ah, but a competent person (under the Wiring Regs) can test and certify an installation's compliance (or otherwise) with the Wiring Regs.
Indeed. If one wishes to create a seller's pack when selling the house, then a wiring inspection would be called for anyway.
Compliance with the Part P tax isn't needed for the above...
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
It's at least partly so that people who wire up their attics (ar get a Part P electrician to do it for them - he has to tell the council) have to tell their local councils - who can then increase the rates.
Or at least that was the original purpose - but an MP's daughter died from a faulty appliance while the regs were being discussed, so they tagged on some "safety" bits.
'Course she died from a faulty appliance, not faulty mains wiring ...
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
...but of course, if the mains wiring hadn't been there, the faulty appliance wouldn't have killed her, so its the wiring that was at fault...
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.