Oxo

Oxo were going to release a commemorative cube in red white and blue for Euro 2004 but it turned out to be a laughing stock that fell apart in the box.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Don't throw away all those England flags - just paint out the red cross....

Adam

Reply to
Adam Warr

Interesting... since when did the England colours ever contain blue?

:-)

db.

Reply to
Dirk Belcher

Since last Thursday....

Adam

Reply to
Adam Warr

"Adam Warr" wrote

Compounded yesterday by our cricketers who play in blue.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Home strip is white shirt with red trim and Navy Blue shorts. Ok

Reply to
Trev

That was a joke. You weren't meant to analyse it too seriously :-) It's had blue for as long as the BBC has confused "United Kingdom"/"Great Britain" with "England".

Now who's taking life too seriously????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Since the thirties and maybe before.

Reply to
Simon Harding

Explain? The English flag is a red cross on a white background, coincidentally the same as the DVLA warning symbol (oops - sorry!) The Union Flag has blue in it, but that well predates the 30s. 1630s? 1730s? Hmm... when did the Union Flag first appear?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Before the Union was complete. I'm not quite sure of the sequence, but I think it originally amalgamated the English and Welsh flags with the cross of St Andrew being added later. Sorry I can't quote dates.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Salvé "John Turner" skrev i meddelandet news:cbq8sv$del$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net...

I think it was 1812. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

"Beowulf" wrote

Good name for an overture?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think the Union Flag originally comprised the English and Scottish flags, the (Northern) Irish flag being added later (after the 1801 Act of Union). For some strange reason, Wales never got a look-in; not sure if this is due to its status of Principality rather than Kingdom.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

"David E. Belcher" wrote

Knew it was *something* like that, sorry if I got it wrong.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Are you making one?

Reply to
MartinS

Salvé "David E. Belcher" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Well thinking about it adding a large red dragon would have messed a simple flag up somewhat, then of course there are the Legs of Man and the three channel island flags.... be happy they stopped when they did, it was probably not a committee that made the decision otherwise we'd have a psychadelic flag...... Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

In article , Beowulf writes

I don't think that had anything to do with it. At the time Wales had long been governed by England and this is why the royal coat-of-arms twice shows the three lions along with the symbols of Scotland (red lion rampant) and Ireland (harp). Welsh nationalism and the Welsh flag are much more recent arrivals as too is the Cornish flag (black with a white cross).

Pat

Reply to
Pat Hammond

There is a little old lady who has some details on her website, and I reckon she ought to have a rough idea:

[cross of St George]... was the national flag of England until James I succeeded to the throne in 1603, after which it was combined in 1606 with the crosses of St. Andrew and St. Patrick; [...cross saltire of St Andrew] [St Patrick...] was combined with the previous Union Flag of St George and St Andrew, after the Act of Union of Ireland with England (and Wales) and Scotland on 1 January 1801, to create the Union Flag that has been flown ever since.

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

The Isle of Man and Channel Islands aren't part of the Union, so there would be no need to include them on the Union Flag.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

In parts of East Central Ontario that were settled by United Empire Loyalists fleeing the United States in the 1780s and 1790s, they still make a point of flying the old flag without the St. Patrick's cross.

Reply to
MartinS

The Flag of St Piran adopted by Cornish Tin miners * and now regarded as the The Cornish flag is a Cross similar to the red cross of the St. George Cross.

St Patrick's and St Andrew's Flags are saltires.(diagonal cross).

A few flags have been used by more than one nation. St Andrew's associated with Scotland by most in Britain was the Russian Naval ensign up to the 1917 revolution.

*The black is supposed to represent ashes from smelting and white the colour of the metal, or viens of Ore amongst black rock depending what folk lore version you want to believe. Personally I think it is a white window frame in a holiday cottage with a typical cornish summer day outside.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman