Heat Pump Question

Is it possible to run several Heat Pumps for differant houses of the same underground piping of the system efficiently? This system would reduce costs in new installations.

Reply to
sugna41

It would be possible to do this. I suppose you would want to have a more centralized location for heat collection, and retention, such as a large swimming pool or a good underground thermal mass. You would need a good sized area to collect heat.

As far as efficiency, I'm not sure. The transmission heat losses/gains would be greater in a centralized system, but the net external equipment cost might be less. Maintenance costs might actually increase, not because a large system requires more maintenance per thermal unit, but because probably half the individual heat pumps aren't being maintained in the first place but the large one would be serviced.

Michael

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Thank you for the information. I'm interested in the installation in new suburbs and if costs can make Geothermal more competive. I figure a large reduction in maintenance costs would make it more attactive to a developer if it could be used for several building lots and installed for dual purposes(heat and A/C). The area I am looking at has to compete with electrical/oil/propane/wood and air to air thermal exchangers.

Reply to
sugna41

Unless your developer is working towards putting up a homeowner's association, you are going to have an uphill fight. In order to use a community heat pump, they will have to do a lot of up front infrastructure work. They won't get paid for it until all the houses are sold, then they have to justify having a perpetual maintenance bill. It's easier to put one in per house unit.

Your chances of success also will depend on where you are in the country. Geothermal might work in some areas. If it gets below about 26F, then heat pumps generally don't do so well. If you are in a hot area, where air conditioning is big, then it might be worthwhile to use the heat from the houses as a big pool heater, though on a hot day, getting into a 150F pool probably isn't the most refreshing thing to do.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

No it doesn't get very hot hot or cold here. The portion of the system I am looking at is that piping section which is located underground. Would this part of a Geothermal system need any maintenace and can i be used by more than one Heat pump as a heat source or a heat sink

Reply to
sugna41

I would strongly consider teaming up with an engineering team to get this done and your questions answered. There are a lot of variables in the problem and we simply don't have enough information from your posts to give very good answers. Factors such as soil composition, temperature gradients, climate, heating and cooling requirements, local building codes, water tables, aquifer flow, permitting requirements, etc. are all important to your answer. There are places in which this would work wonderfully, and others in which it would fail miserably. In some cases, those locations are only a mile or two apart. Local engineering talent would be able to help you with working out the details. You will need a civil engineer for the in ground details, and probably a mechanical or chemical engineer for the heat transfer details.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Thnak you for the advice and information. Thats what I was looking for.

Reply to
sugna41