Horizontal force needed to hold a specific load

Hi,
How can I calculate the horizontal force that is needed to hold some specific load? An example: What is the force that I need to exert with my fingers horizontally to hold a 1Kg load, this assuming that my arm/hand is rigid and stable.
I assume that the force will be a function of the finger surface in touch with the load and also some kind of slippery factor of the finger (not sure if this is the right term).
Thanks/Happy new year Jj
Dear JJ:
On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:44:39 PM UTC-7, JJ wrote:

("force" due to gravity) <= (normal force) * (coefficient of friction)

Nope, just the amount of force applied.

Usually the finger is ignored, and the "coefficient of friction" between the "lump" and the "wall" (lots of published values here) is used.
David A. Smith