How to counteract shelf's forces

Hello all,

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

If I have a 18" x 18" board, there is obviously downward force on it.

If I put attach a couple of flat pieces of metal (brackets) to one side and set those on a countertop (fyi most countertops have overhang), this would help counteract the downward force on it but would also create like a hinge effect.

____ _______________________ |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |______board____________| counter | | | | | | Without screwing/bolting/nailing/gluing anything to the counter or the cabinet underneath and without legs that extend to the floor, what could be done to keep the board in a horizontal position?

-I've considered a clamping apparatus (with horizontal legs that would press against the counter to prevent hinging) to which the board (brackets would be on the appatus) would affix. But, depending on how much weight was on the board, their would have to be considerable pressure applied by the clamps.

-I've considered some kind of apparatus whereby any downward force would lever upward force on a 'bar' that would create a strong grip on the counter. This would also need horizontal legs to prevent hinging. However, the board may not stay level with the addition of additional weight since the bar lever may bend or the rubber ont he grips would squish.

Any other thoughts?

Brandon

Reply to
mobydick86

Keep the center of mass of board + weights over the counter.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Applying a strap as a cantilever girder with an end load is very weak, or to put it another way, might need mighty thick straps.

Convert the strap to a tension member, and add a strut to make the whole deal stronger and firmer. But you are ruling out a strut to the floor - a vertical.

That leaves a diagonal strut, in the well known "bracket" configuration. You don't fix the diagonal strut to anything - so long as it is supported by a vertical - a cupboard wall, possibly??

Regards

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott