strength properties of human bone

Could anyone here point me toward any resources where I might find some info on the various strength properties of human bone, such as the yield and ultimate compression, shear, and tensile strengths?

Reply to
2ms

Google on "human bone strength"...there appears to be a lot of material out there.

Bone is a highly variable composite material. All of the physical properties will depend on which part of which bone in who's body you're talking about, as well as the loading axis.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom S.

I am sorry that I don't have a good source of information for you but I can't keep this experience to myself.

When I was studying mechanical engineering at the University of Louisville, doctors from the medical school came over to solicit assistance for a research project on the skeletal system. They gave a presentation that amazed me. I learned that bone grows in response to the way it is loaded to become strong in the advantageous direction. I knew muscle did something like this but I didn't know that bone had this response to physical stress.

It would be neat if structures we built did this!

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch Scherer

Well, I=B4m presently looking for materials to construct artificial finger bones out of. I should have mentioned that because I was, in fact, conscious of bone=B4s ability to adapt in strength. =E5 particular example i=B4m aware of is that of those guys who do things like karate chop cinder blocks, head-butt bricks, etc -- over years of building up what they do, their bones (as proven by xrays) drastically increase in strength beyond normal levels. So, I=B4m aware bone undoubtedly varies dramatically in its strength properties throughout the body, however, I was hoping at least some kind of range or at least ballpark average figure might be available if not a more specific list of offering values for different types of bones.

Reply to
2ms

Journal of Bone and Mineral Research has the worthy policy of publishing all research articles on line , freely accessible. [I wish some others would take the hint!]

Moreover, they have an internal search facility on their articles [better n better!]

Here's a sample search at for strength of bone. It probably won't survive transmission via newsgroup because it is too long, though I angle bracketted it to stick it together.....

You're welcome

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Dear Brian Whatcott:

Brian, are you familiar with:

the caveats listed here, of course...
A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

are you familiar with:

With the caveats listed here, of course...
David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I am familiar with it, but claiming a lazy streak, have not used it yet.

Thanks for the thought

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Wayne State university did a lot of testing in this area. with Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

jgervais