Modeling the boring of a bone?

Hi, Actually I should first model and then analyze a bone structure and dynamics of the tool which is going to ream the thigh bone (e.g. make a hole in it in order to put an artificial part). I wonder how I should do this. In ANSYS, can I model the frontal movement and turning of the tool when reaming the fixed bone? The bone contains some liquid and solid in it. I should calculate the internal pressure resulted from the reaming process by a definite speed and diameter. Someone suggested that I should use discrete element for modeling the bone. Do you know what discrete element is? Does ANSYS or Visual NASTRAN support this? If you advise me, I will be very thankful. Thanks a lot, Sherry

Reply to
sht

Before you get too deep into modeling the process, I think it's important that you get your holemaking nomenclature straight, so that you can ask the right questions of the right people. I am probably not one of those people, but working from my limited understanding and more limited memory:

REAMING refers to the use of a tool with a large number of generally axial teeth, or 'flutes', to make an existing hole bigger. Some reamers are tapered, some are straight. Depth of cut is measured radially, and is usually small. The resultant hole's locus is determined by the locus of the pre- existing hole. I.e., the tool makes the hole bigger, and usually smoother and straighter and more precisely sized, but the hole is in pretty much the same location as was its predecessor.

BORING refers to axial translation of a single- point tool that is simultaneously being rotated. A pre- existing hole is required for clearance of the tool, but the location of the resulting hole is determined solely by the orientation of the axis about which the tool rotates. The resultant hole may be offset from its predecessor. Depth of cut is measured in the axial direction.

DRILLING refers to plunging a small, hard, chisel shaped tool into solid matter by means of considerable axial force, while at the same time rotating the tool. The tool typically has two flutes outboard of the chisel. The axial faces of the flutes are relieved so as to cut adjacent material away and make the resulting hole a lot bigger than the actual chisel. The interstices between the flutes carry the resulting chips away. Depth of cut is measured axially. The resulting hole follows a path determined by the combination of the orientation of the rotation axis, and whatever deflections are forced by local anomalies in compressive strength of the material being drilled, and resisted by lateral stiffness of the tool and bearing of the flutes (which do not cut radially) on the already drilled material. I.e., the point may wander a bit.

GUNDRILLING refers to a derivative of drilling in which there is only one cutting edge, corresponding roughly to one of the axial flute faces in regular drilling, and it scrapes material away. There is usually one straight flute through which chips travel out. Depth of cut is measured axially. The tool requires guidance when starting a hole, but once started properly, it uses the radial surfaces of the flute to guide it straight and true through solid material. The technology was developed for making rifle barrels, hence the name. The tool would probably wander in something as anisotropic as bone.

My primary point was that you used three distinct words as synonyms; they are not.

My secondary point was that you would learn some useful stuff by reading all the technical literature you can find about twist drills, specifically about the pointy ends, and exactly how they do what they do and why they are shaped as they are.

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Halloran