modeling in the vicinity of a furnace

After a very very long hiatus, I am going to start modeling again. I am just about ready (cleaned the workbench, etc), but have a question: about 10 feet away from my workbench is an oil-fueled furnace and hot water heater. I have not modeled yet in this particular basement, even though I have been in the house for about 5 years, so I am wondering about any safety hazards.

I have a small window above my bench which I will crack open for ventilation, but I am concerned about the potential for explosions from glue/paint fumes. Am I over-reacting? I build in 1/72, so I shouldn't have too much paint flying around from the airbrush. I also use liquid cement and the occasional superglues, as well as putty. The basement is very open, so I would not be modeling in a small enclosed space. Just wondering about your opinions, and I thank you in advance.

Reply to
Pauli G

I don't think you're over reacting...not if you plan to be spraying paints/volitales in the area, and plan to be doing a good bit of such work. Even if your space is open, the solids ffrom paint overspray can build up over time and may cause you a problem in the long run.

I'd suggest building a walled space to isolate the furnace and water heater if you can - section yourself off a small work room and provide adequate ventilation to that. Better safe when you have an option.

Reply to
Rufus

Don't worry about explosions. My "clean" workbench is right next to the oil burner and has been for years. I'm still around with all my various appendages. However:

  1. Whenever spraying with volatile substances (e.g., paints) I do it on another bench about 10 feet from the oil burner. When I do, I have a powerful exhaust fan going in that small window. Not because I'm afraid of explosions, but because I want to have my lungs around for a while. Sacrifice the window and put in an exhaust fan.
  2. The biggest problem with the oil burner is soot. If the oil burner is not tuned just right, it will dump soot around the area. Lots of extra cleaning needed therefore. If you can partially close it off so the soot doesn't get on your bench, it is a good idea.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Sounds like the large area precludes most vapor ignition problems.

Also sounds like you have a great device nearby for curing the "should I keep going on this piece of crap or be rid of it?" problem. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Just make sure you Do have adequate ventilation. If my memory is correct and it is Gil Godfrey from St.Louis IPMS end up dying after it was discovered he succumbed to furnace fumes?

Reply to
Max Bryant

The imediate danger is most probably to your lungs. I have a workbench near the furnace and small amounts of glue may not be the biggest problem but when I spray I have a booth (box) with an exhaust fan to outside. The Fan is designed for electronics - a pancake fan. I put a copper screen on both sides of the fan to keep a flame ingnited from the fan from propagating - like the old mine laterns. This is probably overkill - but easy to do. The box has a section of aluminum clothers dryer vent hose routed to the window whwre the fan and window vent is located. Since I'm right handed I located the vent hole near the back on the left side - in the path of the spray. It also pays to wear a charcoal filiter mask to protect from fumes while spraying.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Hmmm - Ken 'Flankerman' Duffey models in 72th as well - have a look at his posts hereabouts re the Antonov An-22 and consider the paint that was flying around for THAT 'baby scale' model.. :-) Well done, Ken, by the way!

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I do the same thing. My bench is right next to the furnace and so is my spray booth. I don't worry about glue fumes with the furnace, but whenever I spary, as a precaution, I turn the furnace off. I do this to prevent any possible fire hazard and so as not to have the smell of paint distributed evenly around the house.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Curtis

I also model a short distance away from the furnace and water heater. What I do is glue,putty and hand paint small parts at my workbench and spray paint and clear coat in the garage.

Mangry

Reply to
Mangry