Online Properties Databases

I have been trying to find the convection heat transfer coefficient for mineral oil. Upon doing so I haven't managed to find any good sources for material properties in general. There is a little bit here and a little bit there, but nothing that aggregates a ton of data. Mmmmmm... data.

Where are all the data? In this specific case, heat transfers coefficients.

Thanks, Jason C. Wells

Reply to
Jason C. Wells

"convective heat transfer coefficient" is not a material property; but a combination of material property, specific geometry, and fluid flow information / assumptions.

With Google, and this search phrase: "mineral oil" "specific heat" "thermal conductivity" ... I get 915 hits that will likely be usable.

Maybe that will help you.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

You might find it helpful to read a paper or a book where some structure has the convection worked out.

Off the top, it seems to me that it ought to be a function of

1) thermal expansivity of the fluid 2) viscosity of the fluid (which would hinder the ascent of a heated "bubble" of fluid.) Mineral oil has a steep curve of viscosity versus temperature, by the way. 3) structural details - is it a chimney like structure or a squat shape with internal baffles?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I was trying to do this the academic way but I just couldn't help myself. I whipped up a quick test, put my handy dandy thermocouple to work, and got a number that I can work with. So much for being a bookworm. :)

Later, Jason C. Wells

Reply to
Jason C. Wells