opinions on grad school?

Whilst there may be some personal benefit in obtaining a PE (a lot of PEs seem to think that it is some step up, which given its 'tick the box, follow the rules' academic requirements seems a bit odd (I am less cynical about the strict 4 year EIT requirement, but that gets waived quite frequently now)), those three fields are exactly those where a PE is unnecessary. Companies in those areas tend to operate under the industry exemption - where stuff is not built to code for direct consumption by the public.

Oh, and unless your academic advisor has ever had a real job I wouldn't take his career advice too seriously, unless you intend to become an academic yourself.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

Greg Locock responded:

So, are you saying that a PE is only really an advantage in a job where I'd have to have the right to "stamp" things? I don't know what an 'industry exemption' is. I have worked in industry and mfg. before, but in production and management, not engineering.

Is the PE mostly just useful when building/designing to codes?

I have also read/heard that it is a salary booster. While $$ is certainly not my main-and-only objective, it's in the top 5.

thanks, all, for the feedback. I'm really glad I came across this NG. I read some *very cool* stuff here, (the parts of it I understand at this point), and have learned some things as well.

-karinne

  • no kidding*. I don't think he has. In fact he's given me inaccurate advising in the past (re what it takes for a particular minor). thnx again, kW
Reply to
k.Wallace

All the aircraft, cars, lawnmowers, televisions, computers, rifles, CD players, robots and so on that you will ever use were researched, designed, developed and manufactured in 'industry exempt' industries. I can't see why we'd pay more for a PE, all other things being equal.

If you are gravitating towards the building industry, or powerstations, HVAC or structural work (etc etc), then you will find a PE is very useful. Also if you ever consider going into business yourself as a consulting engineer that deals directly with the public, then it is essential, or at least highly recommended.

Cheers

Greg

Reply to
Greg Locock

Excuse the redundancy, but if you're planning to go to work in industry wait to see if you really need a PE. As fas as a Master's being worth its equivalent in work experience---maybe on paper, but I'll take the guy with the experience . You might be more analytical but he will be more capable and practical. I've had to deal with PHD's (research/Proffesors) who were called in to consult on some complex problems---Never had one that recommended something that was a practical solution and could be done within the constraints of time and $$$. At one time, out of fustration a phrase was coined that said it all---"Intellectual geniuses but mental idiots". My advice, get the experience first. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I'll second the redundancy ... I come from a background in the food processing, food and medical product packaging and now eight years in the white goods industry. There is no call, nor is there any premium on engineers with either a master's degree (in engineering) or a P.E. license. If you wish to get your P.E. license go for it. The time and money invested is actually pretty low, however unless you work in the previously mentioned consulting, hvac, building and construction industries you will see nary a penny of reward for it.

I have actually obtained my P.E. fairly recently but that is because I am planning on a career shift into the HVAC industry. I am under no illusion that it will help me one bit where I currently earn a paycheck.

Reply to
Anthony Garcia