Data on 1 x 1 steel tube

Where can I get data (weight/ft, I, etc) on 1" x 1" square tube?

I can find lots of data on 3" x 3" but not smaller.

Reply to
Al Smith

The Ryerson Steel catalog has dimensions, weights per foot, and available grades of steel for square tubes as small as 3/8" x 3/8". Once you have the wall thickness, calculating the section properties is easy.

David Duerr, P.E. Houston, Texas

Reply to
David Duerr

Approximating the section properties is easy.

Reply to
Al Smith

Square tube, where H = outer dimension and h = outer dimension:

I = (H^4 - h^4 ) / 12 Z = (H^4 - h^4) / ( 6 * H)

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

Those equations are nearly exact for extruded aluminum tube, but they dont' account for the corner radius of steel tube.

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Halloran

Sure, but they did say 'Approximating the section properties'..

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson