OSHA requirements for equipment railings

I am in process of designing a set of stairs and a raised platform, which will provide access for operators to thread up a thermoformer. The platform is about 6 feet off the ground and about 30" x 70". In the past we have used

1" square tubing to fabricate railings. Railing sections were slid over 1" pins which were welded to the platform deck. This allowed the railings to be lifted off for shipping.

I now need to modify this design so it complies with OSHA specs. I have done some reading and am still not sure what is required. There is some confusion over which regulations apply to platforms affixed to machinery. Could anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks, Dave Miller

Reply to
D.Miller

I don't see what equipment railings wouldn't have the same specs as say scaffolding and mezzanine railings. I've done mezzanine railings. The specs are easy to understand.

Reply to
Dan Bollinger

I have seen distinctions made between construction, building and industrial equipment. I have read sections that describe pipe railings and indicate a minimum 1.5 nominal diameter. The question arises: do they mean nominal pipe size, ie 1.5 inch nominal pipe which is actually

1.9 inches od? And what schedule pipe?

In another section, standards for railings made with structural steel railing reference 2 x 2 x 3/8 steel angle or its equivalent in bending strength. I sought to compare area moments of inertia between the specified angle and different sizes of pipe. It would require 1.5 nominal pipe (1.9 od) schedule 160 (.281 wall) to match the bending strength of 2 x 2 x 3/8 angle. I see plenty of smaller diameter railing stock offered commercially.

The last method OSHA requires that the top rail be able to accommodate

200 lbf applied in any direction. Is this to the yield point?

The simplest approach might be to just use 1.5 inch nom schedule 160 pipe. But I think that is overkill and the unit is going to weight a "ton". I was hoping that someone with experience in this area could simplify this whole issue by saying for example, that 1-1/4 nominal schedule 40 pipe welded or bolted to platform will meet OSHA requirements. If it is not that simple, even a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

1.25 nom sch 40 pipe 1.66 od .140 wall I=.1947 in^4 1.25 nom sch 80 pipe 1.66 od .191 wall I=.2418 in^4 1.25 nom sch 160 pipe 1.66 od .250 wall I=.2839 in^4 1.50 nom sch 40 pipe 1.9 od .145 wall I=.3098 in^4 1.50 nom sch 80 pipe 1.9 od .200 wall I=.3912 in^4 1.50 nom sch 160 pipe 1.9 od .281 wall I=.4823 in^4 2 x 2 x 3/8 angle I=.47 in^4

Thanks, Dave Miller snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
D.Miller
1) they mean 1.5" O.D. 2) Sch 40 is fine. 3) you need two horizontal rails at exactly OSHA spec heights 4) you ned a toe plate so nothing gets kicked off the platform

Also I believe you do not need anything if the platform is less then 24" off the ground.

Reply to
Alan O'Neill

Here's what I recall from many years ago. Keep in mind that OSHA doesn't do engineering or designing. They specify performance. Handrails on stairs must be about 1.5" for safe gripping. A 2" handrail is too large ergonomically. However, this is for a handrail on a stair. The top rail on a railing doesn't have be be a certain size that I'm aware of.

I know these two items Alan posted is correct:

3) you need two horizontal rails at exactly OSHA spec heights 4) you ned a toe plate so nothing gets kicked off the platform

You also need a certain height.

The last method OSHA requires that the top rail be able to accommodate

200 lbf applied in any direction. Is this to the yield point? Yes.

You are responsible for making something that meets this performance. You can use 2x4's and carriage bolts if you want as long as it works.

Reply to
Dan Bollinger

Thank you to all who responded. All your comments have helped me move forward with this project.