Questions regarding thread diameter and pitch for special design case wtih limited thread length

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone could please provide some feedback on the following situation.

I have a 3/8" diameter steel rod that is threaded horizontally into a vertical steel support at one end, and that has a moderate vertical load applied to the rod at the other end, 5" or 6" from the support. The load tends to deform, pry or bend the threads out of the support.

The threaded end of the 3/8" rod necks down to a 5/16 diameter by 24 pitch thread, and the necked down portion that the threads are applied to, can only be .183" long Maximum. The actual threads won't quite be .183" long because they probably cannot go completely flush to where the rod necks down.

The threaded end of the rod is screwed into the steel support until it bottoms out, right where the rod necks down...

(3/8 - 5/16 = .0625 / 2 = .03125) so there is a 1/32" wide portion of the rod OD that bottoms out on the steel support.

I want the threaded connection to be as strong as possible so the rod supports the largest load possible. Would I be better off going with an extra fine 5/16 diameter X 32 pitch thread?

Are there any disadvantages of using extra fine threads that I should be concerned with?

Since the rod is basically cantilever mounted horizontally, and the loads are vertical, it seems that the amount of material that bottoms out on the steel support may effect things.

For example, if I use a 3/16" diameter thread, a 10-32 thread, or a

1/4" diameter thread, then this produces more "neck down" on the 3/8" OD rod than the 5/16" diameter thread, and this provides more surface area to "bottom out" on the steel support.

My guess is that a 5/16-32 thread would stil provide the best holding power.

I would appreciate any opinions on the best thread diameter and pitch to use. Unfortunately, I cannot just go with a longer thread.

Thanks John

Reply to
John2005

Dear John2005:

Can you: precision bore the base plate, turn the rod end to 0.0005" larger, heat the base plate, cool the rod in liquid nitrogen, and simply jam the rod in the hole?

Do both ends need threads?

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

How would what you suggest compare as far as cost, to threading ? If I were not going to use threads, perhaps a slip fit between the rod and the hole and the use of loc-tite at the joint would be the way to go, but I think threads are probably my best bet, it's just a matter of what thread diameter and thread pitch are best.

The rod will have threads on each end.

Also, If I use the method you suggest, where the rod goes into the hole, I may not be able to put the full 3/8" OD in the hole, and may still have to neck the rod down, where it goes in the hole, due to design constraints. Necking the end of the rod down, may also help it assemble more straight, since the hole does not have much depth.

Also, the base plate has bearings in it, and I cannot deform the bearing bore with heat, since the bearing bore sizes the bearings and bearing radial internal clearances. The rod also has a close tolerance hole machined in it center, along it's longitudinal axis.

Thanks again, John

Reply to
John2005

You should make the threaded part a couple threads longer than mating hole depth to allow for tolerances and so the necked area won't jam in the hole.

Finer thread would be better, but with decent strength material you'll have plenty of capability for most applications. 5/16-24 thread with 50 ksi material can carry over 2000 lb in shear.

It would be easier to cross thread the smaller threads.

The threaded part is in bending and shear either way.

That's not a good idea to try and count on that extra surface area. Depending on fit and tolerances, it may not be there. And if the rod does bottom out, you won't be able to remove it easily if needed.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

I agree that threads are probably best IF the motion of the rod is cyclical. Eventually it will work its way out of the hole if press fitted. Some mechanism to prevent unthreaded is also recommended or the same could happen with screw threads. See my replies in "alt.mechanical.engineering" regarding thread type.

This doesn't make sense, except that a shoulder at the neck-down will help RETURN the rod to perpendicular. Is that important?

Does that mean that the hole is used in such a manner that would prevent the rod from rotating? If that is the case then a shoulder on the thread does not serve to prevent unthreading (again, see my other posts) and may not be necessary.

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" wrote in news:Wzhzf.9591$jR.9192@fed1read01:

How do shrink fits cope with 'writhing' loads?

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

Dear John2005:

Not less than double, since two precision operations are involved. All it gets you is lower stress. Since you have a bearing bore already, negligible additional cost for the base.

Don't use loc-tite, as this only provides a mechanism for failure. If the parts are really that tight, "diffusion" or "galling" will prevent slipage. Don't want that stuff in your bearings either.

OK.

Yes, but the minimum area is/can be closer to 3/8" than with a fine pitch 3/8" thread. Which has to be formed with very expensive tooling.

Press fit is out then, since it will slightly compress the tube, and shrink your ID. Unless you machine/ream the ID after assembly. Room temperature will be OK for the base plate. Heating to less than 100 C is usually sufficient.

Welding is out, since you cannot heat it without heat treatment and machining afterwards.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Dear Greg Locock:

Used in many places in older gyroscope gear trains and such. If the materials have same/identical Young's/bulk modulus, I don't see how they would fail.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

"John2005" wrote

Conventional constant taper threads aren't particularly good in this application, especially with the low thread depth you're specifying. There are a variety of tapered threads (tapered profile and tapered tooth-form) used in oilfield applications that have significantly higher moment capacity than constant pitch threads...they have to be machined though, not tapped, so they're expensive.

If you want more info, see

then look under "Premium Connections".

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

Dear John2005:

An additional question: Are you intending a particular relationship between the precision bore in the rod and the centerline of the bearing race? A threaded connection won't do this well at all.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

John: No, the threaded connection does not have to provide any type of alignment between the two bores, it's just a method to connect the two parts and it's not a high precision connection.

John

Reply to
John2005