Ring Cam / Reverse Cam / Inside Out Cam

I'm not all that knowledgeable about machinery so I'm guessing it has already been done. It might even have a different name.

Anyone know anything about a warped circular track or railing that functions like a cam in reverse?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I guess there have been cams with a profiled exterior surface, cams with an outside lateral groove, side surface, side grooved surface, interior profile, interior lateral groove and probably more I haven't thought about. I try to recall the note I read that said most mechanical engineering advances had been made by the beginning of the 20th century.

What do you have in mind?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Instead of the cam follower riding on the outside of the cam the cam follower is on the inside.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Ala the old demo valve train systems?

Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

Should have been "desmo"

-- Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

Ring cam, groove cam, inverse cam . . . choose your favorite term. A cam is a cam, however, whether the cam follower follows an outside surface, inside surface, or both. You're probably right in guessing it has already been done, whatever it is, regarding cams. There are several really good texts which include extended information on cams and cam designs, but you can probably find out a LOT just by using the search terms "cam" and "design". If you really want a text I'd recommend that you check out one or all of the four volumes named "Ingenious Mechanisms" (ed. Franklin D Jones), ISBNs 0-8311-1029-5,

-1030-9, -1031-7 and 1032-5. The four volume set has its own ISBN, which is 0-8311-1084-8. You can probably find a whole set in your local library if you live in a reasonably urban area.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

Even a gate latch can sear itself into my mind.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill