The Origin and Definition of Simple Machines

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for who originated the term "simple machines", what the precise definition of a simple machine is and if this classification provides any relevance to modern mechanical engineering today.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to catergorize and judge mechanical devices by their complexity. Possibly evaluating that the best solution to a problem is the one that uses the fewest simple machines to do the job.

Any suggestions?,

-Steve

Reply to
Steven Mason
  1. Lever
  2. Pulley
  3. Inclined plane.

Don

Reply to
EROMLIGNOD

Thanks, Don, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I Actually I know what the six-simple machines are, but I want to know why there are only six. Did someone come up with this idea and publish it? Is there some sort of relationship I'm unaware of that links them together. Why isn't the spring a simple machine, etc?

-Steve

Reply to
Steven Mason