Tyre grip.

I'm having an argument about whether narrow tyres are safer than wide tyres on cars. I always understood that narrow were safer, but that they were made wider for comfort and fashion. I believe that narrow tyres are safer on a wet road because of the higher pressure of contact, and lower likelyhood of hydraplaning, and also when there is sand or gravel washed onto the road. Any light shed on this will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Moosh:]

All other things being equal on dry smooth roads wider tyres have more grip. For a given rolling radius a narrow tyre is likely to give a better ride, overall, due to the increased sidewall height.

Yes, hydroplaning is reduced with narrow tyres

and

Not sure that I really agree with this, in practice.

Tyres are very complex and I am sure that a counter example can be found for every assertion.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock