why compressor in refrigeration?

today, i saw a big compressor installed with a expansion unit in refrigeration plant. what is the reason of mounting compressor after expansion unit? why couldn't the hot fluid from expansion unit is directly send to condenser.

Reply to
jas_nitj

smaller pipes or

perhaps it was actually the heat exchanger for the compressor, not the refrigeration heat exchanger

why

1) It is a gas leaving the expansion heat exchanger.

2) the compressor is the "condenser"

3) Some ammonia units do just that, but they are not as efficient.

Reply to
hob

what could happen if we do not install a compressor in refrigeration unit

Reply to
jas

Unless it's a compressorless ammonia-type unit - it won't be a refrigeration unit.

The lines will fill with gas and it'll be a really big paperweight.

Reply to
hob

I suggest you go to the library and take out a basic thermodynamics text and look at the theory underlying the basic vapor compression refrigeration cycle. Or

Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)