Air conditioning the boat?

It has only been 110 for 30 days now...

I'd like to adapt an inexpensive window air conditioner to built-in.

The first step was to make a door for the companionway that the AC unit can sit in. It worked out pretty well, and the top companionway board fits on top to close off the opening. Slide the hatch closed and it cools right down!

But that means 1) climbing cover the AC unit to get in or out of the cabin.

And 2) it blows tons of hot air across the cockpit.

The biggest problem (as I see it) is getting the hot air out.

I wonder what ducting would do to that hot side transfer. It couldn't be good... And I'd not like to cut a hole the size of a window unit in the hull!

So...

Marine AC units usually use a water bath to cool the condenser coils. Pump fresh water into a tank holding the coils and the warm water goes over the side. That means a hole in the hull with a thru-hull valve on it for a pickup, and an exit hole above the waterline.

The rest should be pretty straight forward.

Unless I'm missing something really big??

Reply to
cavelamb

Using water for cooling is the way to go. You already do it with the motor.

i not missing boating all tat much

Reply to
Ignoramus25139

Or get hold of one of the portable units that use two 4" plastic duct to inlet/outlet cooling air. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

rcm way. Use a car radiator with it's electric fan attached and a pump for the water. If you want to get fancy add a thermostat. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I've seen those. They are pretty pricey.

Reply to
cavelamb

The woods are full of them in Asia (and probably other places). Most of them blow in either the front hatch or a hatch on the cabin top although I've seen them in the cockpit, as you describe.

Temperatures are probably hotter over here but hot air in the cockpit is not a really important thing when the outside air temperature is

100 degrees or hotter..... you stay inside where it is cool.

A built in marine unit uses a water cooled "tube in tube" heat exchanger for the condenser side, Usually mounted as a remote unit with the compressor, probably in the engine room or other out of the way place. The air handler is where you want the cold air.

It would be perfectly feasible to convert a window air con to a marine unit by removing the condenser coils and fan and replacing them with the water cooled condenser.

If you do envision building one be sure that you incorporate some sort of high pressure and over temp shutdowns as sucking a plastic bag into the water inlet is common. That shuts down the condenser side and will kill the compressor after a while.

If you intend to mess about with boat fridges or air cons do try to get a copy of Nigel Calder's book "Refrigeration for Pleasure Boats", as it completely covers the whole subject from deciding on how and where to put it to the size cooling pump as well as compressor overhaul directions as an appendage.

Cheers,

John B. (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
John B. slocomb

Thanks for the reference to Mr. Calder's book. Looks like just what the doctor ordered.

Reply to
cavelamb

No. These are not made to take the rough ride.

Use an RV rooftop unit on the deck hatch.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Interesting idea. My forward hatch is on the forward face of the deck house. (nicely angled)

But yeah, that might be an idea anyway.

Reply to
cavelamb

I *thought* you were a salt water sailor?

Wes

Wes

Naw, just a salty sailor :)

Reply to