carboin Chrome cracking

Hello,

i am having a problem with springs made from carbon chrome steel shattering. I think this is caused by a delay in tempering of the spring after quenching. Can anybody point me towardds some information on this. I can't recall what the name of this phenomenon is, please help.

Reply to
toffeeman

Delayed cracking is a form of hydrogen cracking. You might also want to check for surface defects. Heat treatments giving residual stress that is tensile at the surface would be bad.

Reply to
deu

are you saying a carbon steel that's been chrome plated?

hydrogen embrittlement has to be baked out of the steel, post plating.

Reply to
beavith

The steel contains around 0.83 % Cr and 0.57 % C, it is designated

55Cr3, the problem seems to occur after quenching from around 900 oC, if we don't then temper within 1 hour or so. If we leave for a few hours before tempering then we sometimes get cracking.
Reply to
toffeeman