Decarburization during Heat Treatment

Is is possible to have complete decarburization (free ferrite formation) on the surface during heat treatment without any partial decarburisation? The steel in question is SAE 52100 or bearing steel. The heat treatment being done in a batch type rotary retort furnace with cracked and dry ammonia as the neutral atmosphere.

Regards

NK

Reply to
NK

Yes, if the atmosphere is not controlled properly.

Reply to
Atlas Shrugged

Could someone explain in detail what drives this phenomenon - is it diffusion driven or some other mechanism is involved? Also, what parameters of atmosphere need to be controlled to avoid this?

Regards

NK

Atlas Shrugged wrote:

Reply to
NK

Diffusion driven.

I'll tell you, if you stop top-posting.

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

OK, but I am new to this group hence not fully aware of its etiquettes. Also, the first reply from my initial post was top-posted so I just followed onto that.

NK

Reply to
NK