Decarburization during Heat Treatment

Is is possible to have complete decarburization (free ferrite
formation) on the surface during heat treatment without any partial
decarburisation? The steel in question is SAE 52100 or bearing steel.
The heat treatment being done in a batch type rotary retort furnace
with cracked and dry ammonia as the neutral atmosphere.
Regards
NK
Reply to
NK
Could someone explain in detail what drives this phenomenon - is it diffusion driven or some other mechanism is involved? Also, what parameters of atmosphere need to be controlled to avoid this?
Regards
NK
Atlas Shrugged wrote:
Reply to
NK
OK, but I am new to this group hence not fully aware of its etiquettes. Also, the first reply from my initial post was top-posted so I just followed onto that.
NK
Reply to
NK

Site Timeline