Glossary English > Dutch

Hello people,

I am to translate a European Norm from English to Dutch. Subject is metal piping of all sizes, usages and materials (but mainly steel). Does someone know a glossary of terms on the internet?

any help will be greatly appreciated

L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

I read in sci.lang.translation that Loekie Ratelkous wrote (in ) about 'Glossary English > Dutch', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

I don't understand. If it's an EN, there must already be a Dutch version, unless it's a new standard and you have been asked by NEN to prepare the official translation. If the latter is the case, the translation should be done by, or in close consultation with, an expert on the subject, e.g. someone from the NEN committee responsible for the NL input to the work on the standard.

You should almost certainly be using the ISO dictionary.

Reply to
John Woodgate

Have a look here:

or here:
here:
and here:
Hope it helps!

"Loekie Ratelkous" escribió en el mensaje news:c4m7v8$2jv8ld$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-73614.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Colman

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

It's from an agency. Thanks for this background info!

You mean the third from left on my shelf? :-) I'll try and find this one!

L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

I read in sci.lang.translation that Loekie Ratelkous wrote (in ) about 'Glossary English > Dutch', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

The point is that the text is English text is written by mechanical engineers, and they aren't any better, in general, than my esteemed colleagues in electronics at writing clear, unambiguous text.

The Eurodicautom URLs that you were given are likely to be helpful as well.

Reply to
John Woodgate

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

'Glossary

Mind your language! I was born (well... raised) an engineer! But I see what you mean. None of my former colleagues would survive the competition in the translation world...

I found that site already, but i was unable to find 'the dictionary' there. Can you elaborate?

They are already in my repertoire.

TIA,

L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

I read in sci.lang.translation that Loekie Ratelkous wrote (in ) about 'Glossary English > Dutch', on Mon, 5 Apr 2004:

I was in a bit of a hurry (to go to Eindhoven!) when I wrote that. ISO doesn't have a 'dictionary' like the IEC one. However, it does have a lot of documents on terminology, which have multilingual content.

Unfortunately, when I looked in my elderly ISO hard-copy catalogue last night, having returned from Eindhoven almost unscathed (no, I wasn't there for the football match), I couldn't find a terminology document on pipework. But there may be one now. If you really are doing this for NEN, and there is such an ISO publication, they should let you have a free copy!

Reply to
John Woodgate

"Colman" schreef in bericht news:Buybc.2907$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ono.com...

Thanks, one was indeed new to me! L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

You mean on-line documents?

Is such a catalog still available, on- or offline?

last

Unscathed? Why? In what great danders do you travel? What footballmatch?

, I couldn't find a terminology document on

Yes, NEN is the end-client. First time for me.

......and there is such an ISO publication, they should let you have a

Well, now I know what may be available for me to ask for. I'll ask the agency tuesday (monday is Boxing day).

I want to keep to my habit of never delivering late. I have worked with standards in the past enough to know that there are linguistic pitfalls that I do not remember, and I'm sure that I cannot have seen all that there is to say about piping. It's a big project (abt. six weeks work), so I am asking around before the deadline is at the horizon. You have made a great contribution!

L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

I read in sci.lang.translation that Loekie Ratelkous wrote (in ) about 'Glossary English > Dutch', on Sun, 11 Apr 2004:

I'm not sure. Look on the ISO web site

Danders? That, in the singular, can mean either dandruff or anger. Neither makes sense.

You might have guessed that I went to Eindhoven for a meting with people from Philips. What I meant was that the meeting went well and I was not harmed by the experience.

PSV Eindhoven v Newcastle United. I was safely at the airport before the fans started to congregate round the stadium.

No, Boxing Day is December 26th. Monday is Easter Monday.

I wouldn't say that: I didn't find you a pipework glossary, but I did try.

Reply to
John Woodgate

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

[...]

Typo. If I had reread I'd have corrected to dangers.

Ah, I think I saw something in the press..

I was safely at the airport before the

Got me. I think I meant Bank Holyday, or doesn't that apply here either?

No. But you showed a direction, enabling me to find more in the end than a single direct link would have brought me.

L.

Reply to
Loekie Ratelkous

I read in sci.lang.translation that Loekie Ratelkous wrote (in ) about 'Glossary English > Dutch', on Mon, 12 Apr 2004:

Easter Monday is a Bank Holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but just a public holiday in Scotland. Just to confuse people, of course.

Reply to
John Woodgate

John Woodgate schrieb:

JL