Ingot Molds High Temperature ASTM A 319

Dear All,

Since longtime I am looking for, to find out a solution for a mold in order to use as a permanent mold for casting high temperature alloys

1450-1550 °C.

Therefore I am thinking to use similar materials as used for ingot casting in steel foundries. In my ASM handbook "Casting)" dated more than 15 years mentions ASTM A319 grade cast iron material used mainly for ingot molds manufacturing which have a reasonable lifetime for me.

Is there any other alternative materials to make permanent molds having enough yield against high temperature, thermal shock and fatigues, used to manufacture eg ladle, tundish, ingot molds etc..

Any comments, advise and experience would be helpful for me.

Regards

Pierre

Reply to
mkson

Possibly compacted graphite / quasi flake graphite cast iron. Possibly SG iron (can distort).

Reply to
David Deuchar

I agree with David Deuchar. I am seeing lately a lot on interest in SG iron molds as compared to flake graphite iron molds. Perhaps the additional strength and availability of better technologies has helped SG replace grey iron castings.

David Deuchar wrote:

Reply to
arunmrao