Plastics

Does anyone know of any plastic or composite that has high strength AS WELL as hardness? ?

Anderson Enterprises wrote:

Required values, please.
Michael Dahms
wiadomosci

iglidur x this is made by IGUS company
wlemac
These are very relative terms. Without knowing the specifics or application I would suggest a ceramic type material provided the shock resistance and tensile strength are within acceptable limits.
Anderson Enterprises wrote:

there is a glass filled plastic on the market, which I have used in the past to make surgical instruments, unfortunately I can not bring the name to mind, I will research this further if you would like?

I think Tim was referring to glass filled phenolic. It's not real hard but it is strong and one of the highest temp plastics. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for Garolite. It's typically known as G10 or FR4.
Anderson Enterprises wrote:

the stuff we use at work is called g10fr4. the fr4 refers to its fire rating. it's glass filled melamine. g9 uses a coarser glass fiber and is kinda brownish as opposed to g10s greenish cast Go to

Hey I just read the thread, I have a knife that I belive has G10 as the handle material. It can really take abuse, I would recommend it to any knife maker looking for a good material to make handles of. Dont know any suppliers myself though.