Testing for nickel

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I work in sub-contract heat treatment in the UK. At work we have two small bottles labelled "Solution A" and
"Solution B". Solution A is clear liquid and Solution B is a light brown coloured liquid. If we have a problem heat treating a customers steel this is one of the tests we carry out. We do this by putting a drop of Solution A, with a pippette, on to a polished surface of the sample. When a suitable amount of time has passed a peice of filter paper is used to soak up the reacted solution and a drop of Solution B is applied to paper and if nickel is present it will turn red. I am sure I was once told the names of the chemicals involved but this was by someone that left the company years ago and I have since forgotten. If someone can help with the names I would greatly appreciate it.
Best regards
Ian Humphrey
Ian Humphrey wrote:

TRy a Google search for "nickel spot test"
You will get lots of hits. -------------------------
Chemotechnique Nickel Spot Test Background: The Nickel Spot Test consists of an ammoniacal solution of Dimethylglyoxime (DMG) for the detection of nickel in ...
http://www.chemotechnique.se/nic-spot.htm http://www.delasco.com/pcat/cBProd.asp?c=Self%2DHelp%5FProducts&a=Spot%2DTest%2DP&b=Spot%5FTest%2DP&mscssid=consumerid

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Hi, To identify metals in a specimen, the use of X-Ray Fluorescence is most recommended. It is nondestructive and immediate. The equipment is available not only with labs, but with metal centers, foundries and even junk yards (for segregation of alloys). The contract use is quite inexpensive for a qualitative check. Spot tests are by now definitely obsolete.
http://www.welding-advisers.com

http://www.delasco.com/pcat/cBProd.asp?c=Self%2DHelp%5FProducts&a=Spot%2DTest%2DP&b=Spot%5FTest%2DP&mscssid=consumerid
snipped-for-privacy@welding-advisers.com (Goahead) wrote in message

Really? The latest book catalog from ASM International contains a book dated 2002 by A. Holmes titled "Rapid Spot Testing of Metals and Alloys". I think spot tests are still relevant. The microscopic versions are also still occasionally useful.
Pittsburgh Pete