Where to get depleted uranium?

IIRC, the army depends on tungsten shipments from China to make their ammo.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Tim Wescott wrote:

DU isn't zero radiation.
Our troops hunt it down and salvage the gunship targets for used DU. They look for radiation.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
(snip)

DU is a very mild alpha emitter. Alpha particles are stopped by a sheet of paper or your skin.

Nasty inside though. It's also a heavy metal like mercury and lead.
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
My father was a Marine for 25 years and from every source I have heard depleted uranium is very toxic and yes radioactive. The gunners in CH-53's have to wear special gloves when loading the rounds and while firing, they are used in weapons like the GAU 2B mini gun and such. Very unlikely you could buy any as it is a controlled material.
So, the quick way to obtain a quantity of DU would be to go to Bagdad and point something at a chopper? - -
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Quick, yes. Not sure I'd call it "best" or "practical", but it would be effective.
Wish I could have found about 4000 pounds of the stuff when I was casting my keel bulb. With that density down in the bulb I could have had a higher righting moment and saved about 2000 pounds in total weight. Encased in lead it would have been safe too. The spot price for DU was about $8/pound when I was looking. Way to high for the quantity I needed and the paperwork requirement was outrageous.
OTOH, Iridium would have been even better but at $2400/pound I will pass. :-)
--
Glenn Ashmore

You should read this http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable /
They can offer samples too, if you do paperwork http://www.element-collection.com/RGB_Elements_OCT04_rev05.pdf

That's a somewhat contentious statement ! (Do you have newspapers locally?)
As a pragmatic approach (I'm not interested in the DU toxicity argument today), the metal is safe and the oxide is toxic. However burning the metal produces the oxide as huge quantities of breathable fine dust and mechanically abrading the surface may do so too. You can safely own this stuff, but it should either be plated or sealed into a glass vial. You don't want to be handling it.

You have Bush as President. Johnny Appleseed has just been sentenced as a terrrorist for posession of apple pips containing cyanide.
If you want some funky heavy metal, then go to a welding shop and buy some TIG electrodes. These are tungsten, and look and feel as close to uranium as you could wish for. Get the ones that are plain titanium, not those with thorium alloyed.

I am confused, you suggest to get tungsten electrodes, but to make sure to get plain titanium ones?
By the way, tungsten used to be sold on ebay, that's where I got my collectible piece.

McMaster-Carr sells machinable tungsten alloy rods in many sizes.
Randy
Sorry, just a typo - I should have said tungsten instead of titanium.
What is depleted uranium depleted of? I've always thought that this stuff is the byproducet of the nuke bomb industry where the valuable U-235 is removed from the not valuable U-238 which isn't radioactive. I'll also note that granite is radioactive yet we build buildings with it without concern.

U-238 is radioactive, it has a half-life of 4.5 billion years.

It's detectable, but that doesn't mean that it's a problem. A chunk of granite is less interesting to a Geiger counter than a smoke detector is.

Or flying at 30,000 ft, I believe.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Actually, it is! As I recall, removed granite waste is a low-level radiation "hazard".
Banannas will also kick off geiger counters, I guess they are too commonly used by the public to be classed though.
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Well...somewhere, in some secure storage facility, are dozens or hundreds of white "bunny suits", gloves, masks, hats, and assorted clothing worn by me, while working in the "hot lab". I was packaging _very_ low level solid sources into test fixtures (for tuning medical nuclear imaging scanners). Even the packing materials are in some "low level nuclear waste" facility, even though the bags couldn't leave our hot lab if there was _any_ detectable radiation level.

I have to try that tonight. The potassium, I suppose?
Dave "What, doesn't _everyone_ have a Geiger counter at home?" Hinz

I have 4 . And various dosimeters. All work just hunkey dory. I hope they never get used.
Gunner
So where does one buy a geiger counter, if one were so inclined?
- - Rex Burkheimer