24" shear

Im quoting on a 24" shear die for high speed cutting plastic labels minimum .004" thick. Im thinking of trying to maintain a clearance of .0005" or less over a length of 24". Im trying to avoid the blades from touching one another. Anyone here had experience designing & building one of these? Input appreciated. thanx jerry

Reply to
wwj2110

How many layers at a time? How fast? Why no-touch?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Is this a rotary die or literally a shear?

Nick

Reply to
nick
1 or 2 layers ata time looks to be 100 cuts/ minute no touch=no blade gallingor side wear
Reply to
wwj2110

just a regular guillotine die nick

Reply to
wwj2110

Well, not too fast or too much to cut. I just can't see you maintaining the clearance and getting a good cut. How about making the blades cheap enough to negate wear or TiN coat them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you can, you might want to think about a rotary shear. Last time I purchased them rotary knife blades were remarkably cheap, if you pick something that's intended for common machinery. I believe 3" or 4" diameter blades made from D2, ground with a special edge profile, were less than $20 each.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Buy a set of Kuttrimmer blades. They are wicked sharp and about a hundred bucks. Kinda like a paper cutter on steroids. I have cut hundreds of thousands of labels and overlays with accuracies to .003" in plastics and foils up .020" thickness.

Reply to
daniel peterman