3 phase on single phase

All the accessories will bump that 300 up REAL fast. Add in the conversion system and you will be over 1000.00 before you can balance one tire.

Bubble units work BUT they take some skill. They also require some work. I have both and have balanced tires on the bubble and then tossed them on the machine as a demo and not had a problem.

With a bubble unit you need to make sure it is set up correct. One of the biggest problems is having an out of center bubble. VERY common with the cheaper units. Not hard to fix though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Very encouraging.

Reply to
rupert

Probably the most simple rotary converter design uses no switches, is self-starting, and consists of nothing but a single oil cap and a three phase motor.

Connection and operation is pretty much the same as what is commonly known as a "PSC" motor.

I've stumbled across schematics etc. for such an arrangement numerous times in the past, but I've never built or witnessed one in operation and so I can't really comment further except to say that I suspect it would probably start up slowly and / or tend to run somewhat on the warm side.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

lot of time with it as long as it is accurate. I know on the HF one you hav e to center the bubble by adjusting the screws each time before you put the tire down. (I read that on a forum. The directions did not say that). But someone told me they will only static balance and that dynamic is prefered. But like I said, I have read both good and bad on them.

Reply to
stryped

Reply to
stryped

It will work, yes. It has drawbacks that are unrelated to three phase conversion.

Ignoramus13897

Where do you live? I run across 3ph motors with great regularity. I had one stolen out of the alley 2 weeks ago. A nice 10hp.

the bastards

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

f-starting, and consists of nothing but a single oil cap and a three phase motor.

n as a "PSC" motor.

es in the past, but I've never built or witnessed one in operation and so I can't really comment further except to say that I suspect it would probabl y start up slowly and / or tend to run somewhat on the warm side.

A good design for a rotary phase generator uses two motors. One is a three phase motor and the other a single phase motor. The two motors are connec ted by a variable belt drive so that the single phase motor is trying to sp eed up the three phase motor. It is self starting and with a few capacitor s has a reasonably power factor ( meaning it will run on a lower amp break er. ) But it takes up a lot more room than a VFD and does not give you va riable speed.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

-Probably the most simple rotary converter design

-uses no switches, is self-starting, and consists of

-nothing but a single oil cap and a three phase motor.

-Connection and operation is pretty much the

-same as what is commonly known as a "PSC" motor.

-I've stumbled across schematics etc. for such an

-arrangement numerous times in the past, but I've

-never -built or witnessed one in operation and so

-I can't really comment further except to say that I suspect it

-would probably start up slowly and / or

-tend to run somewhat on the warm side.

I've been slowly accumulating the parts for a Fitch or Hanrahan rotary converter. I have the schematics but no practical experience with their quirks and limitations. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

New England. We have plenty of surplus equipment, but the dealers have an exaggerated idea of what it's worth. I helped one identify an auction load and watched him price everything at 50% of my MSC catalog. I rarely pay much over 5%. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The HF unit is a pretty good starting point. The point the balancer rides on can be junk, but it is easy to replace with something good.

The off center bubble is due to assembly. You want the center of the bubble EXACTLY over the pivot, Plus it has to be exactly centered on the wheel cone.

Getting those correct can sometime be a challenge for places with ??? quality control. They are not hard to correct though.

As for why dynamic is preferred--- TIME. If done correctly the end result is a balanced tire/rim assembly.

Reply to
Steve W.

He has racks of 3-phase motors wound with gold wire.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ive got a guy that goes to Hershey for the antique truck show every year. Is that too far to go for a free motor?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gold wire??? Why? Or does his price ......

Just looked...his pricing is fair. His shipping...sucks

$25.66 shipping? What the f*ck? Does he have them delivered via limo?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I did not think the point if it is what I was thinking, is a replaceable part on that HF unit?????

Reply to
stryped

Which reminds me....if anyone finds a Tektronics 212 scope or a cheap! digital at a swapmeet/hamfest for around $50 or less keep me in mind.

I dont use a scope at work all that much..but I do use em and would like to keep one in the truck. Most of mine take up way too much space and Im afraid that the bumping/jostling will take its toll on one before too long. So Id like to have a tiny one like the 212 or a digital I can put in a Pellican type case and slide it into one of the side boxes.

Ive got a bunch of scopes if anybody needs one. I only need 3 at most..and generally I only use one (on the work bench) so dont need the 7-8 that I already have.

1 channel, 20mhz or less is all I need for power and analog circuit diagnosis.

These any good?

Had a 212..but it disappeared. I think it left when my truck was broken into back 12 or so years ago.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Lloyd is in the middle of a super-rush Centroid conversion on a Bridgeport BOSS-9 that died on him. And, he has a contract to deliver on in TWO WEEKS, even given the dead CNC machine. So, he is in a BIG bind.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Michael A. Terrell

ayup. Up to $34 and the reserve hasnt been met yet. I figure it will be around $75 -100 given the use of the term "rare!" by the seller

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

rupert wrote in news:9c3c9$51dc517b$414e828e$23784 @EVERESTKC.NET:

You're apparently not as familiar with stryped's history in this and a few other groups as some of us are. Before you decide that Lloyd is being unduly harsh, go look up stryped's other posts here and in alt.home.repair.

Reply to
Doug Miller