3 phase on single phase

It has 'free shipping', though.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nope. You start at the tapered seat for the point and measure to the outside of the cone with dividers (just like drawing a circle with a compass) then if that is correct you can use simple squares set up on the 4 points with a piece of thread between them as a center to check the bubble. (about like the reticle in a scope)

ANYTHING is replaceable. The one I looked at was a simple ground point pressed into a hole. The one on my ancient balancer is held in with a set screw.

Reply to
Steve W.

Troll alert. He has been posting this crap for years, never on topic. Plonk him and forget him, as the rest of us did years ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He has a $10 handling charge included with each item.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Each term, "Mint" and "Rare", is usually accompanied by 3x pricing. His reserve is probably $300. :(

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lets see where it goes. On my watch list.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On TOP of the $25.66?

Sounds like a seller in Fullerton that went t*ts up pulling that shit. I bought a lot of electronics from him because I could drive to his shop..but he tried the "handling charge" on me several times..and I told him in Vietnamese to go to hell and he dropped the charges.

He lasted about a year on ebay and then closed..he couldnt sell anything after folks got wise to him.

He was Vietnamese btw. They tend to be either really nice people or money grubbers.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Then he will relist it, with a lower reserve. Or eat it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ok, trying to visualize. I dont have this unit yet so I dont have the benef it of it in front of me.

I looked on the net last night. I believe your talking about the part the b ullseye level sits on top of. Underneath the level is round and there is an indintation that the shaft with a ground end "pointer" fits into. Are you saying this indentation should be measured from it to the outside edge of t he circle? (When I say the "circle" I am talking about the entire round pie ce the bulls eye level sits on top of.)

This makes sense. It should seem this should be exactly centered, provided the bullseye is exactly centered above it.

Now I know what a scope recticle is from my deer hunting days but I am a li ttle lost as to the "squares" and the "string".

I have a digital caliper I could try to measure that indentation to make su re it is centered in the circle, but if it is not what then? I assume alot of you guys have the capability to re machine a piece with an indentation e xactly in the middle. Unfortunately I dont have a mill or lathe nor have ev er used one.

It is amazing I have talked to many knowledgeable people. Some swaer by the accuracy of the bubble balancer. I have had one person who has given me ad vice over the years via email and is very helpful. He says he would not bub ble balance anythign but lawn mower tires. He mentione that wheels since th e bubble balancers were used have changed and now have more offset which ma kes a bubble balancer less acurate, I dont quite understand what he is talk ign abotu but he knows alot more than I do.

I appreciate everyone's help on here. I have learned alot.

e part on that HF unit?????

Reply to
stryped

No, masked in the shipping. If you don't read every word in his ad (hint, hint) you miss it.

Du ma nhieu to all those who pull that crap. Handling charges are for building crates, IMHO.

Good!

Sad.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Verily. That may take a long while.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is offset:

A larger offset, to clear the brake calipers, makes the wheel a longer, more stable pendulum that tilts less from imbalance.

I got around that on my sensitive home-made wheel balancer by cutting the female pivot cone into the end of a screw through the balancer hub's center so I can adjust the balance point to the 3-dimensional center of gravity of the wheel, then raise the pivot slightly. It works well and I can detect dynamic unbalance by spinning the wheel after statically balancing it level.

The last time I mentioned this I couldn't convince anyone with only words, so here is a picture:

If the wheel is suspended at its center of gravity and spun, the heavy red spots will pull themselves toward the plane of rotation, making the tire wobble.

But you'd have to make it yourself. The heavy rotating wheel dulls the balance point and cone very quickly and I have to remachine it for each use.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm guessin' this bitch-fest has nothing to do with spending money on packaging for your amazing products, though.. or keeping a supply of free ones.

Then whine when free ones aren't available, to people that're supposed to give a shit/sympathize with you. If you did as you said you would, your govt reps probably put you on a watch list.. probably right where you belong.

To my knowledge, Stryped never treated anyone with the hostility that you do on a regular basis.

FOAD

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Wild_Bill" fired this volley in news:QsqDt.419152$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-13.dc.easynews.com:

When did I ever whine about not getting a free anything? The only thing I complained about was the PO not living up to their promises, and giving bad service. I didn't "keep free ones", I used them, and paid postage on every one. I don't expect free anything, but when it's offered as part of a for-fee service, I expect it to be delivered.

I'm hostile toward Stryped because he _deliberately_refuses_ to do a good job. I think his projects would be admirable (usually) otherwise. But I'll have no truck with folks who set out - intentionally - to do the worst quality work they can get away with without burning down the house.

You might say, "He has the right to do any quality of work he wants." Yes, he does.

What he does NOT have the right to do is ask us (me) over and over how to do things poorly. When we tell him how to do them right, all he ever does is whine about not wanting to work that hard, or not wanting to spend money.

Fine... then don't ask. Go look it up. This group represents our "workshop". If someone physically walked into your workshop and demanded to know your advice on how to deliberately do a crappy job, you'd likely throw him out the door. (well, maybe you wouldn't, but any craftsman would).

So... if he saunters into this 'workshop' and asks the same stuff, I can't throw him out... but I can berate him for his attitude.

If you're on his side, all I can assume is that you share his opinions about doing shit work. I noted before that you don't believe the PO should uphold their promises of services, so that probably extends to your other philosophies.

Lloyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I would really like to see a picture of your balancer. Trying to picture it.

Reply to
stryped

I didn't photograph it when I built it because the workings are hidden by the tire, and understanding the physics of adjusting it is more important than the design.

It looks like a lawnmower blade balancer with a hockey-puck-sized one-step hub on top. The hub (and tire) actually balances on a central screw and can be adjusted up or down the screw to locate the tire's center of gravity slightly below the balance point.

Google isn't giving me a good explanation of how bubble balancers work. I have dial-up and searches take way too long unless I enter the right phrase. This one has already wasted over an hour. Usually I use Google only to give authoritative references for things I already know.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Gunner Asch on Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:41:20 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Never ask, never know." But, as was known centuries ago "the love of money is the source of much evil."

pyotr filipivich

I have some experience with rotary converters, so let me know if you need help finding parts or have questions. I am going to a new email address, but you can reach me at dlcaster57 at Yahoo dot com for a while.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

My lathe has a threaded spindle and the manual for my Delta surface grinder says not to expect better than a 25 microinch finish, so 3 phase motors probably wouldn't improve them. I can sharpen up to 3/4" drill bits on a Drill Doctor and don't really need to fix the pedestal grinder. It was just a what-if before the AC caps disappear into other projects, like fixing golf cart battery chargers. Thanks anyway. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

. It was just a what-if before the AC caps disappear into other

If you run out of Capacitors check Herbach and Rademan. They are near Philly and have pretty good prices on oil filled caps. For example

Motor Start Capacitor, 25 MFD 370 VAC Code: TM91CAP1780 Price: $3.75

Dan

Reply to
dcaster