3 phases 6 wires

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I haven't seen a BSOD in over 10 years. XP is a lot better than 95/98/98Se/ME ever were. I don't even bother to use Tweek UI to change it to a RSOD (Red Screen Of Death), anymore. :)

And, that is what your charge pump is for if it does.
Bob La Londe wrote:

Charge pump? You're WAY out of date! DDS is the way to go, these days. PLL is OLD technology.

ROFL. I am retrofitting a 1982 Hurco to Mach 3 control. Of course I am out of date. LOL.

Ok... I got it figured out. Mostly... Its got an independent fan motor. Doh! Had I been a bit more observant I would have seen that myself, but a couple guys in this group pointed out the possibility, and commented on the probability because a motor turning only 96 RPM at 3 Hz can't possibly be turning a fan fast enough to cool itself.
It was easy enough to check. I spun the fan and held the brake disc on the motor with my other hand. Wheeeeeeee!!!
It has six primary leads because there are two motors.
I suspect the 2 smallish brown wires are a thermal sensor. Not sure I can test it except maybe... to wire up the motor and not the fan motor. LOL.
Life just got easier... if the motor works now.
Thanks guys.
onnect to 3 connections on the VFD?

Thanks for posting the answer.
Dan

What annoys me is I pulled the back cover (it was dented) to check the condition of the fan, and it was sitting right there in front of me the whole time. Its just not what I was expecting to see.... so I didn't see it. I looked in the housing afterwards and I could see three wires going to the fan and three going down to the lower windings. GACK!
Consider those as drive three phase and the other three are sense. Sense is often taken in and the speed is controlled in this feedback mode.
Martin
On 1/8/2012 11:27 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    He didn't read what was in your article -- he just top-posted without reading so he did not know that it was two separate motors, the power motor and the fan motor. :-)
    It could have been a sensible answer for some motors, but that would be with a special VFD. (More common with two wires input and two wires tach output on DC servo motors. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I do have servos with lots of wires. Power, Tach, Encoder... And don't get me started on 8 wire stepper motors. Gack!
Are the two sets of wires the same gauge? I'd a thunk the fan would have much small conductors.

    Maybe the idea is that both sets will use the same size wire nuts when being connected up, instead of needing some small wire connectors. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Or maybe Leland determined that it was cheaper and easier in terms of time, training, and handling costs to just stock one size of primary wire instead of two... and as an added bonus they had the same benefits with wire nuts. LOL.