3d printing info

just hit my in basket -- if you are interested in 3d printing these should be of interest.

Enjoy!

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

My old friend Pete Zelinski! He's a brilliant guy.

I also wrote about this one as an aside in a brief editorial:

There also is some work being done with AM for engineering ceramics.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Just found this on today's Bloomberg

F. George McDuffee

just hit my in basket -- if you are interested in 3d printing these should be of interest.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Carl Ijames

In IE8, right-clicking and then Save Target As shows the URL in the filename box.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I started posting the tiny urls because of complaints about the long URLs.

Time for a survey --

[ ] want full URL [ ] want tiny URL [ ] don't care
Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Gunner Asch on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:57:58 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

one vote for "don't care"

pyotr filipivich

F. George McDuffee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It depends. If longer than about 60 charaters a URL tends to get wrapped, if not originally, then when quoted. Its a PITA to use a wrapped link. Tinyurl avoids that mess, but please use preview.tinyurl.com so the suspicious get to view the full URL before leaving the safety of tinyurl.com.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

[X] Both, so we can see what we are clicking even it the full URL doesn't work.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Most of the time IE8 still works fine, otherwise I run FireFox and usually discover that the site is bloated with graphic ads but light on serious content.

I also have dialup, antennas for TV, a woodstove for heat, a 1968 Maytag for laundry, and a microwave with a windup mechanical timer. This laptop is over 10 years old, though I've stuffed in an SSD, and my shop is a museum of the 1940's through 60's.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Alphonso

Whichever way works best. Some urls are LLLOONNGGG and cause issues.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't care, but, to me, it depends on who is posting it. I don't follow tiny URLs in places outside of RCM. Here, coming from you, I find them handy and convenient.

I *do* like to know what I'm linking to, and, when I post links, I always try to identify what the link it about. I don't follow links that are just posted as an entire message, without explanation, whether the URL is long or a tiny URL.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins brought next idea :

I would second that. [X] Both. Sometimes a link will half wrap for I don't know what reason then one has to paste it together.

Reply to
John G

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

While long URLs can be a problem to handle, they are often where the worst traps lurk. I suppose the rule could be full URL is shorter than some threshold, and both full and tiny URLs if longer.

I find that using < > brackets around URLs helps a lot - most browsers and email clients recognize them as declaring a URL or email address, and refrain from mangling them.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

you never know where these tinyurls point, so it is insecure to click on them.

Reply to
Erminio Ottone

Reply to
Anonymous