3D printers

Contemplating getting a 3d printer for rapid proto-typing, any experience and / or suggestions as to make, model, pros and cons?

can those things make 3d ballons? Could render chucky cheeze obsolete.
Seriously, nasa is getting one. Seems they are going to ship raw material to the shuttle, and produce parts on the fly as needed with uploads from earth. The future is here.
Keep us posted on your experience. Maybe we should all be getting one of those.

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 2:13:05 PM UTC-7, "D" wrote:

Contemplating making what? For instance material/s, work envelope, tolerance and/or budget?

Takes us a few days to make a prototype mold to try to sell a production tool. It costs thousands.
This can be done in a 3d printer, for like a penny.
In the last 2 years prototype making in molds has disapeared. Very sad, as this is the best part of moldmaking in my opinion.
But..be a part of it...or be a victim of it.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:13:05 -0700 (PDT), "\"D\""
No experience personally. I would suggest going to a trade show. Prices are high at least in my opinion, but they are dropping as these things take off. And they are changing rapidly just like PC's of the '80's. Whatever you buy I'm sure a bigger better cheaper one will be out in a few months.
Check this out post it to RCM a few days ago. This place is nothing but 3D printers.
Printing a car.
A Miller 91 race car. Mostly plastic, but some SLS metal involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zV8JMwrvs

saw it in IMPO magazine.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Going to see what there is at Westec, my plan is to evaluate whether it is better to buy a machine and add capability to my shop, or to job models of new products to someone who has a machine.
I have a significant amount of R & D to get done, so, it will be worth my time to weigh the differences.
Thanks for the feedback
"D"
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:04:33 AM UTC-7, Randy333 wrote:

Nice Video!
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:13:05 -0700 (PDT), "\"D\""
=================This just hit my inbox. Should be of interest.
http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21584447-digital-manufacturing-there-lot-hype-around-3d-printing-it-fast
also see http://www.repetier.com/
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:13:05 -0700 (PDT), "\"D\""
===================== Don't see anything specific posted yet. This should give you some background. No direct experience, but solidoodle seems to have quite a following.
http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/solidoodle-review.html
http://www.solidoodle.com/
http://www.soliwiki.com/