3lb Sledge VS 10lb Sledge

In my never ending search for interesting bits of salvage (kind of my hobby now - well one of them) I decided to break up the big pieces of concrete that were used as intertial dampers in that washing machine I tore apart a couple weekends ago. I'm no stranger to using a 10lb sledge (although not much in many years) nor a 3lb sledge. My hammer of choice most days is a

2lb machinists hammer or a plastic dead blow hammer, but I've been known to pick up the 3lb sledge to beat a part into submission.

Anyway, I took a couple blows at the concrete with 10 pounder and it was ok, but I just didn't have the control to deliver power vertically to the pieces while standing. I found that kneeling down on the floor I didn't have the balance and comfort to throw that long handled ten pounder around as easily as when standing. So... I picked up the 3 pounder I keep hanging over the back work bench next to the other hammers and gave it a couple whacks. The concrete broke nicely with little fly away and I quickly exposed the small web of... 1/4" rebar welded to the bolt plates embedded in the concrete. I didn't even know they made rebar that small.

So for those who would seek enlightenment. No. The answer is not always, "get a bigger hammer."

Maybe in the next weekend or two I'll make some mini tongs out of that mini rebar. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I don't know why nobody thinks of explosives. No fuss, no muss...just a job well done! Drill a hole in the block, pack with smokeless powder, insert fuse, top with clay, light fuse and RUN!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't know why nobody thinks of explosives. No fuss, no muss...just a job well done! Drill a hole in the block, pack with smokeless powder, insert fuse, top with clay, light fuse and RUN!

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, OK! Tell me how it comes out.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

***** Well, OK! Tell me how it comes out.

As soon as my ear stop ringing long enough to allow my echo location to kick in so I can find my way around here in the smoke I'll wander over to the computer and let you know how it went.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I keep both in my shop. The 3pounder recently arrived for free except it needed a new handle, the ten, I use as a can crusher - I hold it by the end of the 30" handle and drop it vertcly on the pop can. With a little carefull aiming I have blown the side out of cans quite effectively. Purpose made can crushhers leave the cans close to an inch high whereas mine reduces them to a quarter of that.

Reply to
Gerry

Yeah, 2 and 3# drilling hammers are the way to go.

A day without explosives is a day without sunshine.

Seeing that, PLEASE tell me you don't vote Dem. =:0

P.S: It's a good thing you can touch-type, eh?

-

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Using a 3# cross peen?

Um, Gerry. You're supposed to drink the contents first, THEN crush the can.

Do you get more money for them crushed at the metal yard than you do from the can recycler?

-

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 9/10/2017 3:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: ...

The only thing that should be made with rebar is reinforced concrete. It's such a mystery metal that you have a very good chance of wasting your time.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I have always had pretty good luck welding up things from rebar. As I remember some rebar is certified for welding and some is not. I may have just been lucky, but that is my experience.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:18:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cheap stuff - works well enough as tent stakes. Unless you are used to it, use the 3# sledge instead.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Naw, these are from SWMBO, Daddy Pop comes in brown long neck bottles. The hammer head is large enough to tempoarily seal the opening while crushhing action pressurizes the can beyond its bursting strength. If I turn the can bottom up I can burst about seven out of ten.

These are picked up by the city contractor and help pay to recycle coffee cups and milk cartons

Reply to
Gerry

It makes "ok" hooks for hanging stuff over a camp fire..assuming it doesnt bust in half when you bend it.

Nasty stuff....

*****************

Its mostly pretty easy to work with a hammer when red to orange hot. Many years ago I made trap drags with rebar. Red with a torch, bend, brush the scale off. DONE.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's amazing that it can happen with the top up. The cans seem stronger. I've seen them shaken around and then dropped, and was afraid to push on the outside for fear of it bursting and shredding my finger as it did. It seemed like 100+psi inside there.

That's good. Around here, they don't let us put milk cartons or frozen food boxes in the recycle stream because they're plastic coated.

-

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had a little discussion with the local authorities a while back about milk cartons. The discussion ended when I pointed out that the adjasent municiplality who were operating our local facility as an independent contractor included them in their own list of recyclable items!

Reply to
Gerry

Yes, that's what they're using in the spillway.

A man called Juan Browne, C-130 and 757 pilot, has a series on the rebuilding of the Oroville, CA dam emergency spillway, so I've been watching the detailed series with fascination. Highly recommended. blancolirio channel.

He asks the right questions for the construction and regulatory guys, disses the MSM properly, and includes his kids, teaching them all sorts of things in the process. We have an earthen dam 50 river miles above Grants Pass, so I have a slightly stronger than usual attraction to this. 66 videos about it since Feb of this year when it crumbled.

Yeah, that's the stuff you don't know if it'll bend or not.

-