Interesting WWII Manufacturing Video

Chrysler was given task of taking the hand-fit 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun and mass producing it for WWII. They gave each
division a main part and used over 1,000 sub-contractors for the small parts. Drawings were translated from Swedish so the shopmen could read them. I imagine the entire process took months so our ships could be better protected for the war. One aircraft carrier shot down 32 Japanese planes in under half an hour with these things. Thinking back to my yout, I called these "pom-pom guns". http://tinyurl.com/y9o6m25b
--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I love this video. Beautiful old style industrial inventiveness.
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 10:31:32 -0500, Ignoramus21254

Yeah, try to get something like that done in today's litigious, corporate-owned, regulation-laden, leftist-slowed theater.
"Well, if you can't guarantee a 7000% ROI within 3 weeks to our stockholders, hire only women/transgenders/minorities, double their pay, and guarantee that the output of their efforts will not be used in a violent manner..."
-
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I think the "pom pom" was a different, British, gun. Often remembered in its multiple-barrel form. Search online...

Yeah, same Bofors, built by the Brits in quad format.
-
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
writes:

The original Pom Pom was a late 1800's Maxim machine gun scaled up to 37mm. When it was replaced with a different design of 40mm gun the name stayed, so it can be considered generic for an automatic cannon.