4 inch diameter bolts

Ignoramus29862 wrote:

Saw quite a few cap nuts for (as I remember it) 6 inch threads. the gentelman who had these told me they were from the "bolts" that were used in a power plant to hold the steam boiler together or some such. He was an "operator" or something like that in a local coal fired plant. I may even have one of them back in PA in a barn on the property I have back there. I guess I'd call them a cap nut since the threaded holes don't go all the way through. The back end is a very large hex though not a dome. ...lew...
Ever been on a deep sea oil rig ? - platform I mean ? - Some stuff has to be bolted - like buildings and cranes. Think of a heavy crane that brings 'stuff' - like stem tubes to the site - and food... people... There are some really big things out there - like big Earth moving or scooping machines...
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member http://lufkinced.com/
Ignoramus29862 wrote:

-
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:19:11 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn

I figure that a 4" bolt at 50000 PSI could hold about 480,000 lbs or about 218 tons.
Here's a picture of that tap:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/huge-tap.jpg
Maybe it was just made as a display of metalworking skill without any intended use,
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:47:06 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

When I looked upskirt Lady Liberty, I saw that she had huge nuts. ;)
About 12" across the flats. The bolts holding her to the pedestal must be 8" in diameter if not more. I understand that you can no longer go inside since 9/11. <sigh>
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
Ignoramus29862 wrote:

And if you can't find a buyer, just leave it on your desk looking cool. I have something like a 5" or 6" ball race on my desk looking cool.
That tap looks oddly like the hopper of a farm engine I've been doing up recently. Rather cactus-like...
Chris
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:20:16 +0000, Christopher Tidy

Yes, it looks nice and I would not mind having it as a desk decoration.
I was down in Florida in about 1978 with a buddy. We were just out of high scholl looking for adventures and girls. We were driving his Vega wagon all the way from Michigan. I love space travel and rockets and stuff so we stopped for the grand tour of the space center. They took us out on the shuttle runway and to all the huge buildings and displays. I loved it but it wasn't quite enough. There is some kind of wilderness around there, marshlands so we drove out thru this massive field, birds and even a cougar crossed our path. Narrow road and about 50 feet ahead of us it just paused then moved on. I don't really think we were supposed to be driving around out there.
You were close with the Golden Gate bridge.
Back in 1970 a friend an I "explored" all the old bunkers on both sides of the bay.
The one's on the Marin headlands were the biggest. Of course all the equipment was missing but in the turret houses there were the studs and nut's to mount the guns. In classic government fashion each stud had 2 nuts and were covered in cosmoline and wrapped in burlap. Sitting right next to them was a plywood and hardwood 'wrench' that actuall fit the nut's.
These studs and nuts were 5 inch diameter...
---.- Dave

Ignoramus29862 wrote:

I've seen them on bridges before. I think I've seen something close to this size on a large dozer too. But Wayne is probably right. I doubt they were used to cut a thread in the first place. Sadly quite a lot of taps (small ones included) aren't much good for cutting threads in steel. I have a set which are only good for cutting threads in aluminium or brass.
Chris