4 Pole to 12 Pole AC Motor Conversion

Thanks, Jerry! You do good work! You know, the old saying re. "Everything old is new again" rings true with your dyno setup. Apparently, yours is very similar to an old-fashioned Prony Brake, except that Excel is programmed to do the math with a shortened torque arm. In the past, I thought you were experimenting with an inertial type of dynamometer. It is good to know that Prony's legacy is alive and well today.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Jim,

Thank You Very Much!!

Your post is very informative, I believe I am beginning to understand.

I will continue to search da net and continue to piece things together.

Again thanks goes to you and to Jerry and the others for the dyno discussion, all useful information.

MM

Reply to
Anonymous

MM

If you want to convert old 3 phase motors, maybe you would like to disconnect one of the three windings and make the motor into a sngle phase motor. That takes a little time to dig into the windings and reconnect. But you sure can get alot of HP from old 3 phase motors and get pretty good start up torque too. Or -- You can go buy the right sibgle phase motor and not bother with reconnect and digging inside the old 3 phase motor motor.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Jerry,

I don't learn as much for just taking money out of pocket to buy a new single phase motor. (Don't get me wrong, I seems most of life's learning expirences have taken money out of pocket)

It would be great to study the windings and see if reconnecting the PPG's would have the desired final result, but I have not stumbled onto enough info on exactly how the thing is wound. I may need to get my hands on a burnout and unwind and learn that way. I have disected an alternator stator, took good enough notes to be able to rewind it. It is not much, but it is a start.

MM

Reply to
Anonymous

Jerry,

How about this connection:

For a six lead motor: A phase, start/finish = 1S and 1F B phase, start/finish = 2S and 2F C phase, start/finish = 3S and 3F

Three phase "Y" connection: Connect 1F to 2F to 3F Connect L1 to 1S, L2 to 2S, L3 to 3S

Three phase "Delta" connection L1 to 1F to 2S L2 to 2F to 3S L3 to 3F to 1S

"Single phase Delta connection" Connect 1F to 2F Connect 2S to 3S Give it a spin and then Connect L1 to 1S Connect L2 to 3F

(essentially, take the 3phase delta connection, swap 1 winding end-for-end, open the delta and apply single phase power)

This will run the same RPM as the original 3 phase motor, at reduced horsepower.

MM

Reply to
Anonymous