5C Collet Question

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo. The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just barely pass.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Mine is a Royal, probably bought for $5 used, that measures 1.010" near the threads.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

1 inch should go through. Some cheap collets, even the ones without internal threads, will not pass 1 inch diameter stock. You can hone yous]rs out with a brake cylinder hone. Or bore it with carbide and polish the threads to remove the burrs. Rubberized abrasives, e.g. Cratex, would work well for cleaning up the threads. ERS
Reply to
etpm

ERS sez: "1 inch should go through. Some cheap collets, even the ones without internal threads, will not pass 1 inch diameter stock. You can hone yous]rs out with a brake cylinder hone. Or bore it with carbide and polish the threads to remove the burrs. Rubberized abrasives, e.g. Cratex, would work well for cleaning up the threads."

Tht sounds about right; mine, a Royal, measures 1.001" inside the threads. It would be a lot easier to use a 4 jaw chuck.

Bob Swinney

ERS

Reply to
Robert Swinney

would be a lot easier

I can get enough in to use it, I just have to cut the stock first. I may try boring it. A four jaw would certainly work, but I prefer a collet when I can use it. Less overhang, less chance of marring the finish, less stuff whirling around, faster to get concentric.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

What's that Lassie? You say that Pete Keillor fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:10:09 -0500:

At work we have up to 1.062 5C collets. No internal threads though.

Reply to
dan

Normally, 1" *should* pass through -- but I had to turn the crest off of threads on a cheapie.

The *will* hold short pieces up to 1-1/8" but not pass that through the spindle.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sounds like mine. Thanks for the input everybody.

I'll try a light boring job on it after this project. I need to bore the handle for a cleaning rod for my 450 Marlin. I'm making a rod out of 3/8" stainless. I've got the ball bearings fitted to the rod, just need to bore the handle, cut off and thread the business end.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

According to Machinery's Handbook 26th p 972:

1.063 round 0.906 hex 0.750 square
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I've turned a lot of 12L14 drops that were 1". Can't remember if the collet was Buck, Royal, or Hardinge. The collet rack has a mixed lot of collets.

No problems passing though the collet.

Wes

Reply to
Wes