5C Collets

Has anyone used one of the 5C collet chucks, the type that fit on a normal chuck back plate. I would like to use 5C collets on my lathe, and this would be about the only way (it's only a 9" Southbend). Do they work OK, are there any problems with them, can bar stock pass right through the collets?

Also, are any of them better than the others (several suppliers seem to have them now) or are they all selling the same item?

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

5C collets will take up to nearly 1" dia through, depends on the particular collets (Older ones which don't have the internal thread will often pass a bit more (a full inch if you're lucky) than the newer ones). Can't comment on the chucks, but I'd be surprised if they didn't take the full capacity of the collets.

Dunno, but Bison was the brand commonly available, their stuff is usually pretty good. If what you're offered isn't Bison branded, it might be worth asking more questions about it.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech