5c collets

I need some help/opinions. I've been using the same set of 5c collets I bought 20 years ago from Travers tool. Their brand, some import, I don't remember where they were from. Anyway they are all tight on the fit. I need to push to get .250 stock into the 1/4" collet. What sucks is when you are working with 1/2" TGP and it gets all scratched up going in and out of the collet.

Is this normal or is this because they were the cheap set?

I ask now because I bought a 3/4" square Lyndex collet and it's nice,

3/4 sq stock slides nicely in and out.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

"... they are not spread after grinding,..."

My few Royal and Hardinge collets apparently -were- spread after grinding, the Enco ones are randomly loose or tight. I stuff small screwdrivers in the slots to open them if necessary

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yea, I've used the screwdriver trick too, but it's a pain in the butt.

Maybe I need to order a few more lyndex and see if they're better. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I bought good collets in the common sizes and cheap or used ones in

16ths and 32nds, and for sharpening end mills on the surface grinder. Lyndex and "Grand" are OK. jw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've only bought one Lyndex collet (McMaster-Carr) in 5/8 (R-8). Nice friction fit. I need to get another 1/2 collet in r-8 since it tries to dismember my edgefinder. I'm going to buy another one from McMaster.

I've used Buck, Hardinge, Royal collets at work. Most are nice fits but a couple out of 50 or so are not as nice. None truely nasty.

Wes

Reply to
Wes