Subject Author Posted Replies

Diesel Story
Interesting short film for us old timers only. or TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/5bx6pz http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1213922369

OT-WaMu Bank Surprise
WaMu may be the next taxpayer surprise. People with more than 100k on deposit at WaMu would be wise to start moving thier money to another bank in my opinion. The takeover of silver state bank last...
2
2

Octagonal aluminum bar stock?
Anyone know of a source for aluminum bar in an octagonal cross section? 5/16 or 9mm across flats, prefer 6061 to insure anodize color match with a related part. I'm guessing this is not available,...
19
19

Small sine vise-recommendations?
In the market for a 3" sine vise for my home shop, I tend to shy away from the "asian" varieties but at about 1/2 the price I'm tempted... When they quote square and parallel to 0.0002" can they be...
15
15

"'D' profile Gear bore Forming?
Have a project, need a gear for a stepper with .187" Dia D shaft. I can make the gear; are there broaches for forming the pilot bore? Seems there would be a bazillion different ones, depending on the...
11
11

cutting angles:
Can someone explain how I can cut an 10 in. stovepipe with an 22% angle it is for an vent pipe on an 4-12 roof . sal
9
9

FS/Parting Out: FANUC 5M Control
groupies: picked up a FANUC GN 5 Series 5M CNC control; was used w/ a Matsuura MC-660V (I also acquired the other interface cabinet used specifically w/ the MC-660V but have not picked it up yet). if...

OT: another provication? And to what end?
As a follow-up to some of my earlier OT postings, as an apparent symmetrical move to the increased US Naval activity in the Black Sea off Georgia, the Russian navy will take part in joint naval...
38
38

Ooooops
Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"? (Nevermind the expletive following the splash.) Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out of the water and me...
15
15

Speed-up or slow-down belt drive
I need about 67 rpm on a shaft. An 1800 motor with a 40 to 1 gearbox = 45 An 1800 motor with a 20 to 1 gearbox = 90 Of course, Automation Direct doesn't have a 30 to 1 box and I want to use them as a...
13
13

You Guys said I should use 1/2"
You guys said I should use 1/2"... So I did. Sorta. LOL. doing all of this I and doing some testing I can tell you 3/8 plate would have been more than adequate. I used 3/8 plate and then bandaided...

Bet you didn't know
2
2

Shrinking a warp out of a casting?
Greetings all. Turning once again to the wisdom of the group for advice on a peripherally metalworking topic: Does anyone have any experience/advice dewarping a cast-iron casting? I have a cast iron...
18
18

Want to trade 40-hole bike rim for 36 hole
I have a pair of aluminium 18" WM3 rims, both 40 hole. I need one of them, but instead of the other need a 36 hole, same size. One is Dunlop, the other Akront, both shouldered & dimpled, look the...
1
1

Homemade 2 spindle lathe preliminary results
After the long discussion about one spindle following another and using a Gecko 320 servo drive I have the first test results. The servo motor has a 500 line encoder mounted on it and the Gecko Drive...
18
18